New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook 1,1 (White) WiFi Trouble

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iPodmanTim

iPodmanTim is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 1,1, 2GB, 60GB HDD, OS X 10.5.8

I have a White Macbook that I purchased in July '06. When I picked it up this morning, the internet seemed to be running fairly slowly. I have tried re-starting both my wireless router (BT Homehub), and my computer. My Airport connects to wireless seamlessly (unless you count the fact that since Sunday, everytime I boot or wake-up my MacBook, I have to re-enter my WEP Key, even though I click to remember the network!)

The problem, in more detail, is that whenever I try and load a page, it keeps hanging, sometimes for minutes at a time. After this I'll either get a time-out message, page not found message or it may decide to load. This problem is not restricted to Safari. Both Firefox and Chrome (latest versions) are affected.

As an example of how slow it has been: I tried to download a utility that was 644kb, and the estimated download time was seven minutes. On my wife's, it was seven seconds.

My wife's MacBook is about a year younger, but otherwise identical. She has had no problems. I checked our Airport settings side-by-side and there is no difference. My sister-in-law's MacBook (aluminium unibody) is also fine.

Someone suggested checking the DNS settings in System Preferences. I checked, and the DNS that is on my screen is the same as both of theirs.

Is it old age? I realised just now, that this computer is the best part of four years old.

Please reply. This slow internet is driving me crazy!

(I'm running up-to-date Leopard...)
QUOTE Thanks
iPodmanTim

Edit: I am also getting error messages when attempting to connect to the other Mac's public folders.
QUOTE Thanks
iPodmanTim

Someone on the Apple support forums suggested hooking it up to the router, to see if the issue was connection based. It's quicker, but it's not the smoking fast connection my wife and Sister-in-Law have been getting. I have also experienced these issues connecting to Wi-Fi hotspots.

Just counting down the days until my wife will actually agree that I categorically NEED to buy a new Mac...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New HD | password problem »