New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

really loud fans and over 100% cpu usage

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wakefield10

Wakefield10 is on a distinguished road

I havea macbook thats around two years old. 10.4.11, 1gb ram. 2.16 intel core 2 duo. Anyway recently I've noticed that the fans have started to go really fast and my computer is running slowly.
anytime I open up firefox and try to stream a video the fans get really loud and istat pro always shows that the exhaust is generally going at around 6200 rpm. CPU says that firefox is usng 24% right now. But if I try to stream a video on ninjavideo or something the usage goes over 100% and my computer freezes and runs extremely slowly

Can anyone help because its getting really frustrating.
QUOTE Thanks
Wakefield10

I also want to add is that sometimes I hear clicking noises coming from my laptop as if the hard disk is trying to turn on or something.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Anytime you start streaming Flash Player content, you can rest assured that your CPU is goin to be running at or near 100%. There is no fix until Adobe fixes it.

Clicking, I'd suggest you check that out. If it's your hard drive, time to make sure you have your data backed up and look at getting a new one.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I presume you're streaming a Flash video which is VERY resource intensive. A RAM upgrade on your macbook will greatly alleviate the slowdowns.

Have you tried Safari to see if it work any better or Google Chrome?

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Wakefield10

so the cpu usage is not a problem with my laptop? it used to handle watching videos fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Wakefield10

the same thing happens with safari and i tried to install google chrome but it didnt work, my fans have gone up to 5000rpm even though im not doing anything except browsing this forum and facebook.
QUOTE Thanks
FasterPussyCat

FasterPussyCat has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB

I think sometimes it can also depend on what kind of websites you are streaming video from
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Have you tried Safari to see if it work any better or Google Chrome?
That won't make a difference. The problem is Flash, not the browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakefield10 View Post
so the cpu usage is not a problem with my laptop? it used to handle watching videos fine.
Have you upgraded Flash? It seems that the CPU issue just get's worse. Hopefully 10.1, which was off to a promising start, will solve some the problems with CPU usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakefield10 View Post
the same thing happens with safari and i tried to install google chrome but it didnt work, my fans have gone up to 5000rpm even though im not doing anything except browsing this forum and facebook.
Did you get the Mac version of Chrome (it's a beta)? Are you running anything other that your browser? What does Activity Monitor say?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB Port Stopped Working? | macbook wont boot into osx »