**DEAD Macbook Pro**
    Hi everyone, was hoping someone could help. This morning my 2 yr old Macbook Pro completely died and wont turn back on. The little white light at the front isnt lighting up and there's no sign of life from the battery's green LED's whatsoever, even though the MagSafe LED is green indicating fully charged. The thing is completely dead, unresponsive. I dont know if this has anything to do with it but a few months ago my charger cord failed so I ordered a new power adapter on ebay only to realise, when it arrived, that it wasnt an original apple charger. I used it anyway, but it did this - the laptop would only wake up once the battery was charged over 20% or so. The original apple adptor would power up the laptop even at 0%. I never understood why it did this and/or if it has anything to do with my current problem, I just though it might be worth mentioning. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Sounds like it's stuck in sleep mode.

Try pulling the power cord off and remove the battery. Put the battery back in again and attempt to power on.

If that doesn't work, try resetting the SMC:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

I dont think its stuck in sleep mode - the front light whould have been on right? I tried SMC but nothing

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by tobe123 View Post
    I dont think its stuck in sleep mode - the front light whould have been on right? I tried SMC but nothing
    I'm afraid you're SOL on that one then. Do you have an Apple Store nearby?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Yeah, I'll take it in tomorrow. Its really strange - the thing is like totally dead! wtf??

Specs:
    Yeah, I'll take it in tomorrow. Its really strange - the thing is like totally dead! wtf??
    Hard to say. Those 3rd party power adapters can be really fickle, especially since the MagSafe connector is patented. I don't believe Apple licenses the connector, so anything you buy from a 3rd party is likely an unlicensed knock-off.

Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Hard to say. Those 3rd party power adapters can be really fickle, especially since the MagSafe connector is patented. I don't believe Apple licenses the connector, so anything you buy from a 3rd party is likely an unlicensed knock-off.
    So you think the power adapter caused it?

Specs:
    So you think the power adapter caused it?
    It could have, yes. But it's kind of a shot in the dark. It would be like calling your mechanic and saying "my car is making a noise, what's wrong with it?". I can speculate all day long, but at the end of the day, you would have to actually inspect the logic board, power supply, etc before making a determination.

cool thanks for the advice cwa... ill post something as soon as i know more

Well i got my macbook pro back from the apple store. The guy said he had to do a hard-reboot to get it working. Its been working fine for the last month, however today its done it again! Does anyone know how to do a hard-reboot?

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Hold down the power key for 5 seconds or more, but this isn't a solution, and I would take it back to the Apple store.

Thread Information