New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New Hard Drive issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

darkstar12

darkstar12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 13 unibody Snow Leopard

Successfully upgraded using SuperDuper to a 500g Seagate 5400 drive on my 13" macbook (2008 unibody). All was running smooth until a day later, freezing all the time. Had to hard reboot to undo it, and when i do, upon reboot get the question mark. Obbiously cant tell where to boot from.

I have locked the settings to boot from that specific drive. In fact, the only way it seems to recover from this is to put the old drive in, boot from it, plug the new drive in via USB, reselct boot from new drive, and then shutdown and swap drives again and boot from new drive. This gets it to where it should be - but then the cycle repeats itself.

Any ideas? I am getting really wary of mac upgrades at this point. I dont want to buy a new machine just to get a larger drive but am thinking mac might not be very user upgradable. My windows machines are more stable than this which is SCARY.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Looks like you got a bad drive. Where did you buy the Seagate from? Either take it back and get a new one or contact Seagate and ask for a RMA. They'll send you a replacement drive. Even brand new drives fail.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

You and I have the same machine and I ( and thousands of others ) have updated our machines with both hdd and ram with out a problem. So trust me when I Say it's just a bad drive and has nothing at all to do with your Mac not be user upgradable.

Good luck
clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just took my mac for repair, can anyone explain this? | Hard Recovery DIY?? »