New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Battery Problems- 2007 Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SeanMcG

SeanMcG is on a distinguished road

Ok so this is ridiculous....

In the 2.5 years i've bought this computer, i've had to buy a new battery after a year and a half because the old one went down to around 60% health. Now, for some reason, this week the battery dropped from 85% health to 30% health. Keep in mind this newer battery only has 250 cycles on it, while my older battery has around 450 (which, dropped from 60% health to 11% health). I'm meeting with the Genius bar today at 2 PM-- is there any way I can get my battery replaced? There has to be some kind of defect with these two batteries- my older PC laptop has better battery health than them! I'm fed up with having to buy new batteries and new power cords (currently on my third power cord, the connection cords keep on melting).

Thanks for any advice!
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Had a similar issue with my MBP and from the sounds of it you may have to send it all in and have the charging checked. My logic board was replaced and i suspect it all started from charging issues but of course cannot verify that. Now i would use this, but with your new battery you might want to check this one out.
QUOTE Thanks
ticedoff8

ticedoff8 will become famous soon enough

Batteries suck. They are chemical devices in a digital world and the ones used in laptops and cell phones are "bleeding edge" so don't expect perfection.

Your older Windows PC probably used Nickel Cadmium (NiCad) batteries. NiCads were perfected in the Cold War by Defense Contractors for missile systems - so using them in laptops was pretty mundane for that technology.

The Lithium based batteries used in all of today's modern laptops / cell phones is still going through a shake out process - unfortunately, we are the unwitting field testers for these battery systems. Sony used to have laptops that caught on fire - not a good thing for a "laptop" computer.
QUOTE Thanks
SeanMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
Had a similar issue with my MBP and from the sounds of it you may have to send it all in and have the charging checked. My logic board was replaced and i suspect it all started from charging issues but of course cannot verify that. Now i would use this, but with your new battery you might want to check this one out.
So I tried this, and the battery still seems to die out quickly, while the health of one of them has already dropped... 3% since my last posting. Does anything think there's a chance Apple might just throw me a new battery?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

When my MBP went in it was 18 months and 6 out of the standard warranty but the certified Apple Repairer dealt with Apple and in the end all i paid was shipping both ways. So look for repair outfit with a good rep and hope that it is a known fault. Apple will not give you a new battery without testing the charge system otherwise you could be in the same place in a few months with another dead battery.
QUOTE Thanks
SeanMcG

They replaced it. It was obviously a defect. Let's hope this next battery treats me better...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« When should I buy a new Macbook Pro 13''? | Upgraded HDD but seems slow to boot »