New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Temperature of MacBook White 2009 (late)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tom3f

tom3f is on a distinguished road

Hi. I have a new MacBook White 2,26Ghz Late 2009. When I start convert video in handbrake (for example to H264) temperature of CPU is go up to 100C and then fan will increase RPM from 2000 to 3500 (or more) and temperature is now about 85C. it is normal that fan started go up RPM when temperature is 100C ????? When I work with google Earth fan RPM go up rather. Thank for help
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The fans are increasing speed to compensate for the increase in temperature. Your fans are doing their job - their working harder to manage the higher temperatures. So, yes, it is normal for fan speed to increase.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
tom3f

And this temperature about 100C is not most high ?? I know that is it about 85C when fans cooling but it wait for 100C while start up the RPM from 2000 ?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

100C is unusually high but if your MB gets too hot, it should shutdown to prevent damage. You can try blowing out the fans with some compressed air (you can buy cans of this from a computer store) which may help with airflow while allowing your fans to operate more smoothly. What kind of surface are you using your MB on? It should be on a hard surface with no obstructions blocking airflow. Blankets and rug are horrible surfaces to use notebooks on.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
tom3f

My MacBook is new. I buy it befor 10 days. Fans should be clean. I use macbook on the table only. This is good surface i think. But thank you for information.

Now I play game FlatOut 2 on OSX and temperature was about 75C and fans start coolink. This highest temperature about 100 is only with HandBrake when other parts of macbooks are cold ( when macbook start and I start encoding) When MacBook work few minutes and other parts of macbook are hot ( 30 - 50) fans cooling normaly. Maybe my problem is becouse heatsing was cold and CPU use to 100%.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook won't recognize GPS device | Sound Problems in Windows »