anubis
    Question Video card in 12"
    Okay- I'm planning to get the new 12" powerbook, and I was wondering what the limits on its video card are, and if they are very low, is it possible, in theory to replace it with a different card, such as the one in the 15", or is the NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200 made for the 12" specifically? Please respond- I really want to know before I buy the computer!

hokiethang
    Quote Originally Posted by anubis
    Okay- I'm planning to get the new 12" powerbook, and I was wondering what the limits on its video card are, and if they are very low, is it possible, in theory to replace it with a different card, such as the one in the 15", or is the NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200 made for the 12" specifically? Please respond- I really want to know before I buy the computer!
    I am not sure of the limitations of the GF FX 5200, but it is not possible to have apple replace the video card. It is not even an option, and as I would assume with most laptop providers, the video is not actually a separate card, but instead built on to the motherboard, so you are stuck with the video card in the machine.

Specs:
    17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
    Yeah, hokiethang is absolutely correct. I was watching the Paris Expo last night... If you are gonna get the 12", then for like $600 more you can get the 15" that comes with the 9600 Mobility, which is supposed to be a nice chip. That is the only real "option" you have. Of course you also get faster RAM, the ability to use more of it, and a bigger screen. But if you need the 12" because of it's size, you are stuck. Maybe look into the iBook? I love my iBook, but it isn't my main machine.
    Emrys
    Community Administrator / Moderator
    MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!

Thread Information