New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook won't read dvd

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

viamaris

viamaris is on a distinguished road

Hi I'm new to the site and couldn't find any threads that addressed this. I have a store bought DVD that won't play in my DVD player. It's a region 1 DVD. I tried repairing the permissions and that didn't work. I tried a few other disks and all of them worked. The DVD worked in a DVD player, but I'm about to travel and don't have the money to get a new dvd or portable dvd player. Anything else I could try before I throw it away?
QUOTE Thanks
alienapp

alienapp is on a distinguished road

have you tried using the mac built in dvd player?

If not you can find it in your application folder called "dvd player".
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I would go with VLC

Open source media player and will play just about any video/audio codec there is out there. IMO great app to have
There description of it
VLC Media plays all video formats and also supports MPEG streaming.

This free VLC Media Player is a cross-platform multimedia player which supports MPEG and DivX streaming video as well as all major audio and video formats. In addition, VLC Media Player offers the ability for users to watch the relevant movie while it is being downloaded. Available for all relevant platforms such as Windows (XP and Vista), Linux, MacOS X -- and even BeOS and Zaurus!

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dauber

dauber is a jewel in the roughdauber is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04

viamaris -- if you mean that the DVD just plain isn't recognized at all -- that is, an icon doesn't appear, the SuperDrive spits it out, etc. -- it turns out there are some pretty funky problems with the SuperDrives on a lot of Macs -- including iMacs, MacBooks, and MacBook Pros. I had similar problems that literally putting a Memorex cleaner disc in the drive fifteen times solved...check out this thread on the Apple site:

Drive won't read any dvd-ejects it automatically after spinning some time
QUOTE Thanks
viamaris

viamaris is on a distinguished road

Thanks Dauber, i didn't know exactly how to describe it. Thanks for yalls help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Smcfancontrol help | arrangement tab missing on macbook »