New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New hard drive... help!!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

amotsang

amotsang is on a distinguished road

I installed a new hard drive in an out-of-warranty MacBook Pro (17 inch).
Had to,the old hard drive was dead.

I bought a new copy of Snow Leopard and "thought" I installed it, but I did something wrong and it keeps taking me back to the install window.

I went to Utilities> Disk Utilities and resotred the OS on the hard drive, or so I thought.

This is probably not enough information and I'm not very skilled with computers, but any ideas or tips would be much appreciated.

I'm hunching I didn't format it correctly, but just can't figure out what I did wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Standing by.....
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Boot from the Snow Leopard disc, go into Utilities > Disk Utility and format the new hard drive. Drives come unformatted.
QUOTE Thanks
amotsang

Thanks. Been mucking around in Disk Utilities for hours and can't find anything that offers me an opportunity to "format."
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Disk Utilities from the boot disc?
QUOTE Thanks
amotsang

Yes, sir. In Disk Utilities with a brand new copy of Snow Leopard I got from the Apple rep at Best Buy this morning. Told him my situation and asked if this would get me going again? He confirmed it would.

My wife just found the sequence for disk formatting on the internet. This stuff isn't intuitive to me. But apparently we had to go into the Erase portion in Disk Utilities to format. It's cooking now and has an hour and 18 minutes to go. Hope it works.

Does our latest approach sound right?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Yep and thank goodness for wives eh? My bad thought you would grasp it when you got into Disk Utility and go to erase and format. Keep coming to the forums you will learn a lot an d remember, there are no silly questions, just silly answers!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP 13 new faster HD, slower boot time? | mac pismo problems wont start up »