New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MBP 13 new faster HD, slower boot time?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gillms1

gillms1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" MBP 2.53GHz, 500GB 7200rpm HD, 4GB Ram

Hi There,

I've just upgraded my 13" Macbook Pro from the stock HD (250gb 5400rpm) to a 500GB seagate momentus 7200rpm. With the old hard drive I would be looking at boot times of around 20 seconds and less - now I'm experiencing boot ups of over a minute.

Strange thing is 40 seconds is just the blank grey screen as soon as I hit the power button, this doesn't seem right? Once I see the apple logo, it's fine - just takes ages to get there!

Any ideas or suggestions?

Cheers,

Sunny
QUOTE Thanks
gillms1

Just in case anyone else experiences a similar problem, I've now resolved this.

After you've installed a new hard drive, check that in System Preferences --> Startup Disk that your new hd is highlighted - if not, select and click 'Restart'.

This has done the trick for me, now my boot time has gone from well over 1minute to under 30 seconds
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

I had a Seagate 7200rpm 320GB that acted similarly to what you describe. After a week or two is was booting as fast as, or quicker than my stock 250GB 5400rpm drive. Not sure what fixed it. I assume there were indexing, kext or other background processes running overtime for a while. Regardless it went away after a bit. I though the HDD was flaky and almost sent it back.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
jobborrow

jobborrow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz 320GB 4GB Ram, iMac 2006, 250GB 2GB RAM & 3G iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillms1 View Post
Just in case anyone else experiences a similar problem, I've now resolved this.

After you've installed a new hard drive, check that in System Preferences --> Startup Disk that your new hd is highlighted - if not, select and click 'Restart'.

This has done the trick for me, now my boot time has gone from well over 1minute to under 30 seconds
Thanks for replying with the answer when you discovered it, I upgraded my HD, not to a faster one, just a bigger one, and ever since then the bootup has been hanging for 30-40 seconds on a blank screen like you said, then it would all kick off and go to the Apple logo, I did what you said and it's lightening quick again! Thanks! Stands to reason really, with no default boot up disc on start up selected, it's having a look around to see what to boot from.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
gillms1

XJ-linux - Glad to hear your Seagate is now problem free

jobborrow - Strange thing is when I've changed the HD before in other macs, I didn't have to do this. But like you said, it makes sense and is always worth checking if you notice the same problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Thanks gillms1 for posting that that fix. I saw your post last night and didn't think to suggest that. Don't think I have had to do that with the few times I have upgraded/changed the system dusk.

My initial thought was that more time was being spent checking the SMART status of the larger drive. But even sho it shouldn't take that much longer.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP freezes and screen slowly fades to white *PROBLEM* | New hard drive... help!!!!! »