New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Accidentally Left Macbok in Car

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jayt

jayt is an unknown at this point

I accidentally left my 13" MBP in the car for about 3 hours. It was on at the time but in sleep mode. When i took it inside, the macbook was frozen, and the light was no longer blinking so i thought it shut itself down. When i turned it on, apparently it went into hibernation mode by itself. My question is do you think it has damaged it in anyway or void my warranty? I know it probably wasn't too good for the battery... Thanks!

13" Macbook Pro - 2.53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I highly doubt that leaving your machine in sleep mode for three hours is going to do anything harmful to your machine.

I'm at school from 8AM-11PM. During that time period my MB is in sleep more in my messenger bag.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
rockstate45

rockstate45 is on a distinguished road

I think he's worried about the cold it experienced. Let it thaw out next time before you use it and you should be okay.

It's 7* here and I'm frozen just from a 5 mile drive to Walmart and back.

-rockstate
QUOTE Thanks
idirtbike

idirtbike is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:

i doubt it would void your warranty unless it was humid and got really really wet some how. but being cold, nahh theres nothing in the warranty saying you can't freeze your MB (:
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The temps were most likely outside of the standard operating temps, so I'd let the system sit for a while in your home before turning it on so that it reaches ambient temperature.

Lots of parts don't take too well to transitioning from the coldest to the hottest temperatures..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

From the Apple Tech page

Electrical and operating requirements

Line voltage: 100V to 240V AC
Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz
Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F
(10° to 35° C)
Storage temperature: -13° to 113° F
(-24° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet
Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 feet
Maximum shipping altitude: 35,000 feet

It will be fine but as stated above leave it thaw for a bit before starting it next time ...

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I have left my laptop bag in the car at 25 degrees farenheit (-3.88 C). Opened it up in room temperature and went right to work with no issues whatsoever.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
jayt

jayt is an unknown at this point

Thanks for the response everyone I'll know better for next time

13" Macbook Pro - 2.53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
QUOTE Thanks
arnolds bro

arnolds bro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Processor 2.1ghz intel core 2 Duo

sounds pretty cold where you people live.
im moaning and its 7deg
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnolds bro View Post
sounds pretty cold where you people live.
im moaning and its 7deg
Assuming you're talking degC as opposed to degF, in which case today it's 4 degF or -15 degC where I am..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
arnolds bro

arnolds bro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Processor 2.1ghz intel core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Assuming you're talking degC as opposed to degF, in which case today it's 4 degF or -15 degC where I am..

Regards
that sounds pretty cold to me
where would you be?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« More ram questions | can i hook my macbook upto my plasma tv »