New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Quick help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HELIOPOLIS

HELIOPOLIS is on a distinguished road

I am moving all selected .au files to my trash right now, and up comes a window that says
"finder requires that you type your password.

Details are Right:com.apple.desktopservices
Application: Finder

What do I do?
QUOTE Thanks
HELIOPOLIS

I have a HTML DOCUMENT that is in there with what's going in the trash, will I enter the password and take that document back out?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't know what it is, but I'd hit cancel instead of my password until I knew what it was.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cowwart

cowwart is an unknown at this point

Agreed. It could be a trojan or something that's trying to damage your computer.
QUOTE Thanks
HELIOPOLIS

Trojan on a mac?
QUOTE Thanks
cowwart

A couple exist, they're hard to come by, and they require you to enter an admin password (I think, might be master). But still, it could also be some random hacker who is trying to get your info off the comp. It would be best to figure out what it is first.
QUOTE Thanks
HELIOPOLIS

Really? That's a bit worrying.... Any ideas as to how I can find out?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Could this be from an older web page created some time ago? I ask because apparently the .au audio format was used on some early web pages. Au file format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
HELIOPOLIS

It's possible but when I clicked cancel the selected files I was moving to trash stopped partial way through the total amount, I took the html document out of the selection and sieved through the 30,000 or so files for other documents not .au(sun audio file) and took them out, I think it was the main.html document that was asking that password, I'm not too sure but I had no problem then deleting all other .au files...

...Although, something similar happened the other day too...
QUOTE Thanks
cowwart

I don't really know exactly how, but you could try activity monitor (under utilities in the applications folder), look at the titles of the processes, and try to figure it out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to backup files if Macbook Pro wont startup? All I get is a Blank/white screen. | Weird typing problem »