New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

SOS help please. Macbook Pro won't turn on. Blinking Light

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

antonisalb

antonisalb is on a distinguished road

Hello to everyone this is my first post here and sadly its about a problem with my macbook pro.
The notebook in question is a 17'' Macbook Pro I bought in September 2008.
I simply closed it (without turning it off, just let it go on sleep) and took it with me as usual and when I tried turning it on again, it would not turn on.

I press the power button and I hear the hard drive/superdrive (not sure which of the two) start up and I see the sleep light turn on but after a few seconds its turns off again. If I hold the power button down for a few seconds the sleep light starts blinking and then the notebook turns off once more. In all cases the screen is black.

I tried everything here Troubleshooting a MacBook, MacBook Air or MacBook Pro that won't turn on and tried removing and re-installing the RAM and nothing changed.
Short of trying to re-install the RAM again I have no idea what to do. I won't be able to visit a Genius until after the 5th so any ideas/suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
cowwart

cowwart is an unknown at this point

Did you try to boot it in safe mode after turning it off? I'm not sure if that will help, but it might do something.
QUOTE Thanks
danj01

danj01 is on a distinguished road

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I am having the exact same problem with my 2008 MBP
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonisalb View Post
Hello to everyone this is my first post here and sadly its about a problem with my macbook pro.
The notebook in question is a 17'' Macbook Pro I bought in September 2008.
I simply closed it (without turning it off, just let it go on sleep) and took it with me as usual and when I tried turning it on again, it would not turn on.

I press the power button and I hear the hard drive/superdrive (not sure which of the two) start up and I see the sleep light turn on but after a few seconds its turns off again. If I hold the power button down for a few seconds the sleep light starts blinking and then the notebook turns off once more. In all cases the screen is black.

I tried everything here Troubleshooting a MacBook, MacBook Air or MacBook Pro that won't turn on and tried removing and re-installing the RAM and nothing changed.
Short of trying to re-install the RAM again I have no idea what to do. I won't be able to visit a Genius until after the 5th so any ideas/suggestions?
Have you tried resetting the PRAM?

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks
PR325xi

PR325xi is on a distinguished road

have anyone knows whats this problem about? same happening to me
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Try resetting the SMC see if that helps - this link for a Santa Rosa model.
QUOTE Thanks
StephJ

StephJ is on a distinguished road

Could it be to do with this? MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

I had a similar problem last week - tried to turn the macbook pro on and it made the start up noise but nothing came on the screen. I took it to an Apple retailer to get looked at and the logic board was replaced free of charge. Much to my relief!

I hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
iLaw

iLaw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS

Try this if all others have failed:
Unplug the computer, disconnect the battery (if you can). Hold down the power button for minimum of 10 seconds. Reconnect all power sources.

iLaw
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010) + White 32GB Rogers iPhone 3GS
2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, Intel HD/512 MB GeForce 330M Graphics, Hi-Res 15" Glossy Screen, Mac OS X v10.6
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephJ View Post
Could it be to do with this? MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

I had a similar problem last week - tried to turn the macbook pro on and it made the start up noise but nothing came on the screen. I took it to an Apple retailer to get looked at and the logic board was replaced free of charge. Much to my relief!

I hope that helps.
Did you have warranty still? Or were you out of warranty?

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonisalb View Post
I do not know what specifically is the OP's issue, but I have heard a very similar story 1000 times from various laptop owners, and very often (not always, but very often) it turns out to be something I call "heat coma."

THE CAUSE: putting the machine to sleep when its hot and immediately sticking it in a bag or case. The laptop's temp sensors find that temps are still too high and can't vent, or sometimes something causes the machine to "wake up" while its still in the bag and can't vent. Bottom line: bad ventilation causes the problem.

THE RESULT: won't turn back on. Makes sounds like it is turning on or IS on, but screen remains black.

THE FIX: Remove battery and power from the machine. Let it sit for an hour. Put battery back in and start up. It will usually reboot normally at this point.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help Please! Replaced Hard Drive - Computer Won't Turn On | Spilled water inside, surprisingly having issues »