New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

4gb? Is that it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

buddha3569

buddha3569 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: unibody macbook

Hi everyone,

I got a unibody macbook. Just wondering if 4 gb is really the max I can go?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Check at Crucial.com to see how much you can put in your particular machine.

I would ask... Why? For what purpose is it that you think you need more than 4GB?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
buddha3569

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Check at Crucial.com to see how much you can put in your particular machine.

I would ask... Why? For what purpose is it that you think you need more than 4GB?
Just wondering.... However, I have 3gb and some times I see the rainbow thinking circle.

I get it quite a bit. Do you think more ram will fix that?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I agree with bobtomay, however, for info purposes, your particular MacBook can accept 6 GB of memory. As for the spinning wheel... when it happens what are you doing at the time?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
buddha3569

I have a few firefox windows open, itunes, aduim, ical....

I don't do any photo or video editing or anything like that.
QUOTE Thanks
buddha3569

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I agree with bobtomay, however, for info purposes, your particular MacBook can accept 6 GB of memory. As for the spinning wheel... when it happens what are you doing at the time?

Regards.
Really 6g?

Awesome!
QUOTE Thanks
SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See "Signature".

I've got an Aluminum Unibody with 4Gb in it. I do some graphics type stuff with SnapFish and Pixen, some audio with Audacity, the intermittent game of Star Wars Battlefront, I'll use Celestia or Stellarium from time to time, plus Safari, Adium, iTunes, and MS Excel are open 99% of the time. Even with this, I'm yet to experience any lag due to a lack of RAM.

There are people who do far more than we do on our machines who have "only" 4Gb of RAM. I don't know if you'd see as significant of an improvement as you're expecting, although that machine shouldn't be slow by any means.

Gurassic 5: Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0 (PCI-X), 2 1TB WD Green HD's in RAID 1, 8GB DDR, Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Mac Edition, Airport Extreme, BT, Dual 20" WS LCD's, 10.4.11. Alice: Aluminum Macbook, Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HD, 10.5.8, Windows XP Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Before you spend the extra dough to max the ram try running for a while with Activity Monitor open (you can find it in your Utilities folder). When the spinning wheel happens what processes are using the most cpu time?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
idirtbike

idirtbike is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:

i just got the new uni WhiteBook too and i heard only 4 but then i went on crucial i think it was and they had a 6GB for my MB when i put in which one i had.
QUOTE Thanks
buddha3569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Before you spend the extra dough to max the ram try running for a while with Activity Monitor open (you can find it in your Utilities folder). When the spinning wheel happens what processes are using the most cpu time?
Picture 2.png

This is what on average I have open. Oh I forgot, I usually have youtube open and is usually streaming tv from justin.tv... Don't have cable... I currently have 3gb installed and I still get the hour glass.

Is it better to have a bunch of firefox windows open or should I just tab every thing?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha3569 View Post
Attachment 11941

This is what on average I have open. Oh I forgot, I usually have youtube open and is usually streaming tv from justin.tv... Don't have cable... I currently have 3gb installed and I still get the hour glass.

Is it better to have a bunch of firefox windows open or should I just tab every thing?
I read it somewhere that if the ram is not in matching pairs in the Mac there
would not be a significant performance increase so I have to ask as it has always been in duplicate pairs on the Apple site how did you end up with 3
instead of 2 or 4.
QUOTE Thanks
buddha3569

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
I read it somewhere that if the ram is not in matching pairs in the Mac there
would not be a significant performance increase so I have to ask as it has always been in duplicate pairs on the Apple site how did you end up with 3
instead of 2 or 4.
Well it's a ddr3 pc8500 like the stock one. a buddy of mine gave it to me but he only had the one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My MacBook has PMT | How to backup files if Macbook Pro wont startup? All I get is a Blank/white screen. »