New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

1st Mac in 25+ years

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BrainOnSigs

BrainOnSigs is on a distinguished road

My 1st post...I promise they all won't be this long winded....

There are 3 computer active people in my house. Unfortunately there are only 2 computers. I decided to bite the bullet and buy myself ahigh end laptop for myself. I have had very good luck with Dell in the past. The 2 computers in my house are a Dell XPS tower CPU (all the bells and whistles) with a 22" Dell monitor plus a Dell Inspiron laptop that I got for an great deal.

I decided to order this:
Dell XPS Studio 16 (Merlot Red w/ leather accents)
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9900 (6MB cache/3.06GHz/1066Mhz FSB)
Memory: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz (2 Dimms)
Hard drive: 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
Vid card: ATI Mobility RADEON™ HD 4670 – 1GB
Display: Edge-to-Edge FullHD Widescreen 16.0 inch RGBLED LCD (1920x1080) W/2.0 MP

My experience:

1) Received new Dell XPS Studio laptop.
2) Experienced a date/time error on the 3rd time I booted it up. The time reset to 5/23/08 at noon. Everytime.
3) I also noticed that there were lights on after I shut down the laptop. Subsequently the laptop would not reboot unless I removed the battery each time.
4) Tech was sent out...replaced motherboard.
5) Notice a flicker in the monitor (I had seen it before but was more pronounced after the new MOBO).
6) I said screw it..and returned it under the 30 day "no questions asked" policy.
7) Decided to take a risk and order another Dell in an even higher ended config (meets all my needs and wants).
8) Checked the order status on a whim. Discovered that what they were building and what I ordered were different.
9) Called Dell's customer service. Suffered thur 5 transfers to Indian gents working from their homes (complete with kids playing in the background).
10) 1 hour and 5 miutes later was told...bottom line...to cancel this order and reorder.
11) Realized that I would fall to the back of the line and see a 4 week slip in the ship date.
12) Told the final guy to "kiss my *ss"...give me a refund and that I would never order a Dell product again.
13) Order a Mac Pro Book 17"

2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRM 2x2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm

(Snow Leopard pre-loaded)

$2345 delivered

The person I dealt with while ordering was a software engineer....American...uber-friendly...we talked for 1/2 hour.

We talked about photography, BootCamp, monitors, etc. A true pleasure.

25+ years since I used a Mac.

WOW! I am in love with my new laptop. I am still fumbling around with shortcuts, etc...but I am thrilled to be using the Mac OS X operating system. Incredibly fast...stunning monitor....awesome touch pad.......rock solid aluminum body. I'm not even missing the mouse.

Working in Adobe's Lightroom 2 is a true pleasure. (I am big into photography).

I still have 2 Dells in the house...and don't plan on replacing them anytime soon.......but major props to Mac.

I look forward to learning from you good folks......

I am excited.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Congrats on your new Mac.

Enjoy and welcome!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading RAM | International Warranty? »