|Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.|
|Post Reply||New Thread||Subscribe|
Member Since: Dec 30, 2009
There are 3 computer active people in my house. Unfortunately there are only 2 computers. I decided to bite the bullet and buy myself ahigh end laptop for myself. I have had very good luck with Dell in the past. The 2 computers in my house are a Dell XPS tower CPU (all the bells and whistles) with a 22" Dell monitor plus a Dell Inspiron laptop that I got for an great deal.
I decided to order this:
Dell XPS Studio 16 (Merlot Red w/ leather accents)
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9900 (6MB cache/3.06GHz/1066Mhz FSB)
Memory: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz (2 Dimms)
Hard drive: 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
Vid card: ATI Mobility RADEON™ HD 4670 – 1GB
Display: Edge-to-Edge FullHD Widescreen 16.0 inch RGBLED LCD (1920x1080) W/2.0 MP
1) Received new Dell XPS Studio laptop.
2) Experienced a date/time error on the 3rd time I booted it up. The time reset to 5/23/08 at noon. Everytime.
3) I also noticed that there were lights on after I shut down the laptop. Subsequently the laptop would not reboot unless I removed the battery each time.
4) Tech was sent out...replaced motherboard.
5) Notice a flicker in the monitor (I had seen it before but was more pronounced after the new MOBO).
6) I said screw it..and returned it under the 30 day "no questions asked" policy.
7) Decided to take a risk and order another Dell in an even higher ended config (meets all my needs and wants).
8) Checked the order status on a whim. Discovered that what they were building and what I ordered were different.
9) Called Dell's customer service. Suffered thur 5 transfers to Indian gents working from their homes (complete with kids playing in the background).
10) 1 hour and 5 miutes later was told...bottom line...to cancel this order and reorder.
11) Realized that I would fall to the back of the line and see a 4 week slip in the ship date.
12) Told the final guy to "kiss my *ss"...give me a refund and that I would never order a Dell product again.
13) Order a Mac Pro Book 17"
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRM 2x2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
(Snow Leopard pre-loaded)
The person I dealt with while ordering was a software engineer....American...uber-friendly...we talked for 1/2 hour.
We talked about photography, BootCamp, monitors, etc. A true pleasure.
25+ years since I used a Mac.
WOW! I am in love with my new laptop. I am still fumbling around with shortcuts, etc...but I am thrilled to be using the Mac OS X operating system. Incredibly fast...stunning monitor....awesome touch pad.......rock solid aluminum body. I'm not even missing the mouse.
Working in Adobe's Lightroom 2 is a true pleasure. (I am big into photography).
I still have 2 Dells in the house...and don't plan on replacing them anytime soon.......but major props to Mac.
I look forward to learning from you good folks......
I am excited.
|Post Reply||New Thread||Subscribe|
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
|Data Partition: Using a FAT32 Partition to exchange data between Mac and Windows XP||MartinT||Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac||9||11-12-2009 02:56 AM|
|Four Months on a Mac after 30 Years on a PC||kfander||Switcher Hangout||26||07-09-2009 06:20 PM|
|Buying my 1st Mac and need lots of advice :)||Alenkiy||OS X - Apps and Games||7||03-31-2009 06:18 PM|
|Running Windows on Mac||rickmahmoud||Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac||7||02-16-2008 11:31 PM|
|Me & Macbook, our 1st week together.||dyinginavan||Switcher Hangout||11||06-05-2007 02:03 PM|
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:53 PM.Powered by vBulletin