New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

My new MacBook has a dead pixel

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Roselyn

Roselyn is on a distinguished road

I have a new 13" MacBook. I just discovered a dead pixel in the upper left corner. I have the extended AppleCare and just got off the phone with support to run tests to see if the dead pixel would go away. It didn't. I'm now taking my MacBook in to the Apple Store near me so they can take a look and ship it off for the screen to be replaced.

This is my first Mac ever and I've only owned it a month. I know dead pixels are a once-in-awhile thing but I don't feel like it's right they are going to tear it apart and replace the screen. I could be feeling unreasonable but it bothers me. It's brand new!

I feel like I should get a replacement MacBook. Is it normal they actually will replace the screen instead of just replacing the notebook altogether?

The dead pixel bothers me a lot and so does the thought of them disassembling the computer. Am I crazy?
QUOTE Thanks
BMWguy206

BMWguy206 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27in. Dual Core 3.06GHz

So you're only talking about a single pixel being dead? If anything they'll just replace the screen, NOT the entire macbook unit.
QUOTE Thanks
Roselyn

Roselyn is on a distinguished road

It's just so new. I'm sad.
QUOTE Thanks
stickerdontwork

stickerdontwork is on a distinguished road

at least you had yours for a month. i opened my brand new mbp on christmas morning, within 5 hours it was dead via overall hardware failure. the new one should be here either tomorrow or thursday but my mom got a free ipod nano, but i have an ipone 3gs so my mom is gonna keep it to replace her old nano

Mac specs: late 2009 MBP 15 inch 2.53ghz 4gb Ram 320 gb HDD, 32 gb iphone 3gs white, 16 gb iphone 2g
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The vast majority of companies will do nothing about a single dead/stuck pixel.
I'd be glad they're willing to replace the screen.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
DavyDyNoMyte4

DavyDyNoMyte4 is on a distinguished road

I've run into a similar problem, but it was the result of dropping my laptop on the floor. The stuck pixels later turned into big black blotches on my Macbook Pro and within weeks I couldn't make out the desktop. I live in Santa Monica/Los Angeles and was fortunate enough to find a really good company that was able to replace the screen for cheap. If you're still having trouble hit these guys up. They're mobile and affordable and super professional

Their site is http://www.crackedmacscreen.com
QUOTE Thanks
Thenewguy

Thenewguy will become famous soon enough

You should try running a pixel fix like this one:

JScreenFix - Fix stuck pixels and screen burn-in

I've had a couple pixels that were fixed that way. Also, if you take a cloth and rub the pixel slowly you may be able to "pop" it back into place.

Stuck pixels suck, but you might be able to get it out and save the frustration from going to the store.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which is better MBA? 2009 2.13 128SSD or new 2010? | Puzzling HD question (missing GB) »