New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

What kind of hard drive can I use to upgrade my MacBook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lux-tenebris

lux-tenebris is on a distinguished road

Hi, a totally ignorant post here, any help would be appreciated:

I'm looking to change hard drives in my MB (the old one died) but I don't know if my choice is limited in any way. Is there a specific kind of HD that I need to get? My MB is white 13", 2GHz, 120gb, a couple of years old (07/08).

There's a guy selling a HD from his MB Pro -- would that fit?

Or would just any 2.5" drive fit? Do I need to pay specific attention to anything (I read something about SATA150 and SATA300 thing...)?

Maybe something like this:
TOSHIBA HDD2H24 SATA 2.5 250GB HARD DRIVE WINDOWS 7 - eBay (item 230416708857 end time Dec-31-09 10:19:02 PST)

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

2.5" SATA 9.5mm height.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

This one would be fine. I would be cautious buying a used HDD, you never know what you are going to get. Plus you would have a hard time getting any warranty support if something should go wrong.

Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Black WD2500BEKT 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks
lux-tenebris

lux-tenebris is on a distinguished road

great, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Maczor

Maczor is on a distinguished road

If you can afford it, you want to go Solid State. For me, upgrading from Apple's standard MBP 5400rpm HD to a 250GB SSD was a greater performance boost than the newer processors over the old.

This post has some good technical info on the difference Do You Know What is Solid state drive ? | Techyv.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Possible to use an Input as an Output? | Electro Acoustic Guitar into Garageband on Macbook »