New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro Screen Display Playing Up on Boot Up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tsam19

tsam19 is on a distinguished road

There are some issues with the Macbook Pro I own.

Basically its a 'Santa Rosa 2007 Model', yes the model that's renowned for its faulty NVIDIA Graphics chip.

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

However I am unable to convince Apple that I have one of these faulty Macbook's, as I have taken it to them twice now & after their initial testing they refuse to accept that it is a faulty NVIDIA graphics chip.

I have until next Sept 2010 to convince them, that is when the extended recall warranty runs out.

I have taken a few pictures of what I am experiencing for the last year, this issue started just after the initial 1 year warranty that you would get with any electrical item that is brand new.

On boot up, you hear the 'chime' then the black & white stripes appear & nothing else happens.

On the odd occasion the machine actually boots up as it should, Apple logo etc & works ok ?

On another note I also have a boot camp partition with windows on it, so I tried to boot into windows.

With the black & white lines appear on the screen I 'HOLD' down the 'ALT' key which initiates the boot up choice menu & the screen should show 2 hard drive icons, but it doesn't.

I just go through the motions anyway, when timed correctly & press 'ENTER' the screen goes black as if it were booting into Windows, after a while the Windows boot up 'chime' is heard - but nothing appears on the screen in this mode.

However the 'CAPS LOCK' & 'NUM LOCK' keys on the keyboard illuminate ?

Has anyone any else experienced this & if so how can I convince Apple that I have a FAULTY machine due to the FAULTY NVIDIA CHIP ?

This machine in total has only been used a handful of times & as mentioned the problem started occuring around 14 months after initially buying in 2007.

Any useful help would be grateful, thanks for reading. :apple:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (101.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (74.2 KB, 8 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Osx can't cancel transfer! | Is my MacBook Pro using too much memory? Is there a "leak"? »