New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

So I had a big problem with my MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kevin6432

Kevin6432 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2 2GB

I just thought I'd share my Apple experience.

The computer is in my sig.. I go to wake it up from sleep about 5 days ago, and the display would not turn on. I tried resetting it, playing with the brightness keys, and even looking at the display in the light and there was nothing, even though I could hear the computer boot and everything. I did a little digging on Google and I found this:

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

So I felt an overwhelming feeling of relief, because I had already worked out selling this thing on ebay for parts and buying something else in my mind because I knew the video/logic board was done. So I'm from Dallas, and I was going to Des Moines for Christmas, and I would have to take it to an Apple store there because I can't live without my compute for long. I took it there and before I was halfway done explaining the situation at the genius bar, the guy knew exactly what I was talking about. I had purchased the computer back in July of 2007, and the support page says that Apple will cover the failed chip as long as the computer is less than 3 years old, expired warranty or not. He took my computer in the back and ran some tests on it and it the 8600m GT chip did indeed fail. So they had to order a new logic board, I signed some stuff, and came and picked it up a few days later good as new. They even cleaned everything for me! The screen looks like new! I was very very happy with the support and service I was given. I spent 2 grand on this computer and I was cursing it when I thought it was done. And what do ya know, if there is a known problem, with nvidia or not, it seems as though Apple will acknowledge the problem and support their customers.

I just thought I'd share my experience with my MacBook Pro. The whole ordeal has reinforced my Apple loyalty.

Merry Christmas!

15 inch MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 3GB ram and 160GB 7200 RPM HDD.
Apple OS-X Snow Leopard / Boot Camp - Windows XP
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Its nice to hear a happing ending every now and then... Instead of the majority of posts on here are <rants>

Congrats mate.. Well done and merry christmas
A feel good story brightened my day

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
directeuphorium

directeuphorium can only hope to improve

those 8xx series laptop chips were defective from the factory. Same problem on PCs that used those chipsets as well. Nivida took a ton of heat over the whole affair and dell and apple both extended their care policies to cover the defective parts.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevin6432

Kevin6432 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by directeuphorium View Post
those 8xx series laptop chips were defective from the factory. Same problem on PCs that used those chipsets as well. Nivida took a ton of heat over the whole affair and dell and apple both extended their care policies to cover the defective parts.
That's what I read after doing a little digging. Although I never heard anything about it back when I bought the computer. Oh well. Just glad that everything worked out well.

15 inch MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 3GB ram and 160GB 7200 RPM HDD.
Apple OS-X Snow Leopard / Boot Camp - Windows XP
QUOTE Thanks
Germel

Germel is on a distinguished road

Sounds like an amazing costumor service
Im happy i ordered mine
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« upgrade for a macbook | Connecting MacBook Pro to TV or AV Receiver »