New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook only works without battery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mp5118

mp5118 is on a distinguished road

As far as I can tell, my 2-year-old macbook is working fine when attached to power with the battery removed. But as soon as I put in the battery, the computer immediately goes into sleep mode. It will wake up for about 3 seconds at a time, then it goes back to sleep. As soon as I take the battery out, it comes back to life and works fine.

I tried resetting the PMU, no change. Any idea what's going on?
QUOTE Thanks
Emptee

Emptee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB

Have you tried asking a friend or colleague or what ever to borrow their battery and test it out. It would be a great test before you go out and spend some money on having it fixed.
QUOTE Thanks
dravesda

dravesda is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same issue! My macbook works fine if i disconnect battery during boot. (otherwise it will sleep after 3 seconds) i did spill a small amount of wine on the shell, and stupidly started it right away thinking that I hadn't done any damage. worked ok until the next day. am also wondering if this could possibly be just a battery issue or have i done internal damage?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

it could be a battery issue. The system will reduce processor power when the battery is not plugged in to ensure that the system does not draw too much power. When it senses the battery is plugged in this is not the case. If the battery is bad, you could pull more power than the battery and power supply can provide.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook's keyboard/mousepad + screen problem | Macbook 1,1 RAM upgrade »