New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Whay notebook is right for me?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dillonj

dillonj is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking about buying my mother an Apple laptop for Christmas. I am pretty new to Macs, so I need some of you experts to help me. She is a principal, and will use it for work and home. She wont heavily use it. I'm just wondering what notebook might be good for her. Any more info you guys need, just ask.
QUOTE Thanks
RD423

RD423 will become famous soon enough

I would say go for the regular macbook unless u want 2 spend a couple hundred more bucks and go with the macbook pro. The only difference is the pro has the aluminum look and the firewire and sd reader.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

The new white Macbook or the 13" MacBook Pro. If she's doing work on it, and will be needing it for spreadsheets and word documents etc, I highly consider buying Office for Mac or iWork along with it.

Well you beat me to it! I have to agree with you, the Macbook Pro would be a better choice, because of FireWire. Why? Because I highly recommend backing up your system, and it would be best if the external HD was connected via FireWire. So it looks like the MacBook Pro would be the best option.

13" MacBook Pro (or the 15" or 17", just a preference)
Office for Mac or iWork
500GB external HD for back ups

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

the difference between firewire 400 and USB 2 isn't significant enough IMO to warrant the extra cost just for backup

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
the difference between firewire 400 and USB 2 isn't significant enough IMO to warrant the extra cost just for backup
I thought the MB Pros had FW 800? Shouldn't that be much faster than USB 2.0? If so, I would have figured that would be best for backing up.

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

They do, but most external drives are FW400. Backup, in general, is not a high IO type usage btw.. it's unnecessary as it runs quite happily in the background.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
They do, but most external drives are FW400. Backup, in general, is not a high IO type usage btw.. it's unnecessary as it runs quite happily in the background.
Huh.. well with that said, you're right. It shouldn't matter. Thanks for clearing that up.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonj View Post
Whay notebook is right for me?

I'm thinking about buying my mother an Apple laptop for Christmas. I am pretty new to Macs, so I need some of you experts to help me. She is a principal, and will use it for work and home. She wont heavily use it. I'm just wondering what notebook might be good for her. Any more info you guys need, just ask.
What exactly would she be using it for?
What applications does she need to use?
What do you mean by "She wont heavily use it."?

Just about any computer would be good for general use, and it doesn't even need to be a Mac.
Depending on what she needs, a Mac might not even be the right choice.

The choice of what computer is best should be left up to the individual.
It's not a choice that should be made by others.
If she wants a Mac and could benefit by using one, then you should talk to her to find out what her needs are.

Don't just spring a Mac on someone and expect that it's the best option for them.
Just because you may be having a positive experience with it doesn't mean that everyone else will.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mostro

mostro will become famous soon enough

Will she be doing her "work" work on it, or just home stuff? If she has to manage a lot of documents and spreadsheets of employees, schedules, stuff like that, she might need a larger screen than 13".
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Beep Beep Beep | Connecting External Samsung Monitor »