New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

do i need 4GB ram for adding win 7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac-rp

mac-rp is on a distinguished road

hi
i just got the MacBook 13in 2.26 Ghz which has 2G RAM (part no = MC207LL/A). need windows software and decided to get to install Win 7 software after i use bootcamp to partition the drive. do any of u experienced folks know if i should upgrade from 2GB TO 4GB for Windows 7 64 bit to work faster then the 2GB.
QUOTE Thanks
yamawho

yamawho has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mac Mini late 09 version

Depends what your doing ... internet and email don't need 4GB of ram and it won't be faster.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-rp View Post
hi
i just got the MacBook 13in 2.26 Ghz which has 2G RAM (part no = MC207LL/A). need windows software and decided to get to install Win 7 software after i use bootcamp to partition the drive. do any of u experienced folks know if i should upgrade from 2GB TO 4GB for Windows 7 64 bit to work faster then the 2GB.
Windows 7 x 64 can benefit from 4 GB of memory. It won't necessarily run faster but since Win 7 x 64 can use all of the installed memory, that will allow you to run larger memory intensive programs should you find the need to do so. And since adding memory is easy and not expensive, why not?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyFIVE

johnnyFIVE is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iPad & iphone 3G

When I was playing around with the RC for Windows 7 I dedicated a machine to it, its specs were only a Pentium 4 2.6ghz with 1 or 2 GB's of RAM I dont remember, and the onboard intel graphics. Either way it ran great and thats a much much much slower machine than the macbook so you should be fine.

QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I run Windows 7 Ultimate on a Virtual Box installation on my MacBook Air. It does everything just fine with 1GB of RAM and 128MB of video memory. Then again, I mainly run it to check corporate email and access online directx and activex related work content.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Motornerve

Motornerve can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: eMac PowerPC G4 1.42GHz 768 MB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-rp View Post
hi
I do not think you would need to up the ram just for Win7.
Netbooks run Win7 and most of them only have 1GB of ram.
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

I got a MacBook Pro with only 2GB of RAM and Windows 7 32-bit runs pretty fine on it. Vista ran pretty good as in speed, also, but it had way too many problems to bear with.

Windows 7 all the way; the best operating system Microsoft released in years.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I do not think you would need to up the ram just for Win7.
Netbooks run Win7 and most of them only have 1GB of ram.
Netbooks are not pre-loaded with Windows 7 64 bit. Most are still loaded with XP let alone the 64 bit version of Win 7.

Windows 7 64 bit needs more memory than the 32 bit version. And like I told the OP, since memory is not expensive and it's easy to install, why not upgrade?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to know which RAM to get for my Macbook | Ibook G4 Sounds turns on but nothing »