New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

run my laptop on my tv

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BMWe24

BMWe24 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 13.3 in screen with 2GB RAM and a 2.26 GHz

i like watching tv shows on my laptop and i was wondering what cables are recommended that i could buy that would allow me to watch the tv shows on my HDTV. all suggestions would be great

thanks
Brad
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

And what sort of Mac do you have ??
just for clarification so we can give you the help you need

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
BMWe24

my bad i have a 13.3 in macbook pro, the recent one with 2.26Ghz and 2 GB ram
QUOTE Thanks
optikalefx

optikalefx is on a distinguished road

you need a mini display to vga if you tv has vga. Or you need mini display to dvi then dvi to HDMI if your tv is hi def
QUOTE Thanks
BMWe24

Amazon.com: Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (female) Cable for Apple Mac: Monoprice: Electronics

found this on amazon, so if i got this then i would need a male hdmi correct? is this way better than the minidisplay to dvi then dvi to hdmi?

also another question, i have an older imac G5 (non-intel) with a display port, so i would just need a normal display port to hdmi adapter to watch my desktop on my HDTV correct?

thanks
Brad
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

"Merged duplicate thread"

1. That adapter is not any better or worse.

"Assuming" you want to plug the video in through an HDMI port on the TV, then you can grab one of the following instead of a purchasing two pieces - adapter and cable.

Adapter/Cable combined into one.

Before you buy that cable, you need to consider where you want the sound coming from. The mini-display port does not carry audio. Some TVs do not allow for separate sound input associated with any of their HDMI ports as they "assume" the sound is being carried on the HDMI cable.

Are you wanting to get the sound to the TV or to a separate receiver. If you want sound on the TV, will need to know the make and model of the TV.

2. The iMac G5 has a mini-VGA port, not a mini-display port. You will not be able to plug the G5 into the TV via HDMI. You will need this adapter and a VGA cable plugged into the "PC" (VGA - 15 pin) port on the TV if it has one.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
BMWe24

I have a Samsung series 750 1080p. It looks like it has an opitical input for sound, so a converter from the 1/8th that my MBP has to optical would be necessary correct?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

your MBP's headphone port is also a mini-tos. Get a mini-tos to tos cable and you'll be good.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
BMWe24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
your MBP's headphone port is also a mini-tos. Get a mini-tos to tos cable and you'll be good.
thanks guys
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yes, you can get sound through the optical input on the TV from your computer.

You can not get audio from that optical input at the same time as you are watching video through an HDMI connection.

To plug the computer into an HDMI connection, you must use HDMI # 1.
For the audio, you will need a stereo mini-plug to RCA cable. example

See the pic of your back panel below.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
maconvert

maconvert is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2.4GhZ 4 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optikalefx View Post
you need a mini display to vga if you tv has vga. Or you need mini display to dvi then dvi to HDMI if your tv is hi def
I have 13.3 inch black macbook, would the same thing go for me?
I have an HD television so would I need mini display to dvi??

could I buy the adapter in the amazon link?
This stuff is so confusing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Support Question | Problem with cam »