New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Beep Beep Beep

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

abbemac9

abbemac9 is on a distinguished road

My computer worked fine last night but I forgot to plug it in before turning in. This morning the screen was black and it wouldn't start so I plugged it in. A little while later I tried to start it and it just goes beep beep beep until I take the battery out. When I try to start again, the beeping starts all over again. I have an appointment for Tuesday afternoon to see about fixing it, but is there anything I can try in the mean time?
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

Another battery.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you're getting 3 tones - that would indicate faulty memory.

Have you installed new? Try removing one at a time.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbemac9 View Post
I have an appointment for Tuesday afternoon to see about fixing it, but is there anything I can try in the mean time?
Yes, try having a little patience, leave it be and just wait.

You have an appointment for a professional to take a look at it.
Don't mess with anything before then as you may make the situation worse.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
abbemac9

abbemac9 is on a distinguished road

I don't have another battery so I'll have to wait on that one, and I haven't done anything with the memory... I wouldn't have a clue how to add or remove it... I guess I'll just have to wait for my appointment. Thanks for the ideas.
QUOTE Thanks
BadApple

BadApple will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 32G iPad

Ram, 3 beeps is ram
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

DB's suggestion was best.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyFIVE

johnnyFIVE is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iPad & iphone 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
If you're getting 3 tones - that would indicate faulty memory.

Have you installed new? Try removing one at a time.
I didnt know apples beeped like PCs with faulty memory. Has it always been like that, or did that come with the intel boards and such?

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

It's always been like that.

One of the most important 'beeps' is the startup chime.
Most newer Mac users find it "annoying", but it's a good thing to hear.
It's not just some little startup noise like in Windows.
It is actually a result of a diagnostic check.
It means that everything has checked out A-OK and your computer is starting just fine.

You should never try to turn it off or prevent it from sounding at start up.
If you ever start up and don't hear it (and you haven't taken steps to override it) then it's bad news.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
johnnyFIVE

johnnyFIVE is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iPad & iphone 3G

hate that sound?

how could anyone hate it.

its one of the best noises ever. The only better one I have heard is start sound of an ancient silicon SGI machine I was playing with at work.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PB 17 with the superdrive on the left side | Whay notebook is right for me? »