New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New Macbook Pro anytime soon?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pavilion

pavilion is on a distinguished road

I have talked to some informed Mac people and they have not heard of any new laptops coming to replace the current Macbook Pros. Just wondering if this is the consensus for everyone? I'm trying to decide whether I should go ahead and purchase a current Pro or to wait it out and see if there are any new updated Pros on their way.
QUOTE Thanks
Motornerve

Motornerve can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: eMac PowerPC G4 1.42GHz 768 MB Ram

The next ones will brush your teeth for you and come standard with OS 9 and Windows XP. You have to buy OS X separate.
QUOTE Thanks
roffir

roffir will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac | iPhone 4

Once again if you do that you'll never get one, there will always be new ones coming out all the time. If the computer is what your looking for you should get it. It's easy for me to say now when I am not looking for a computer, I always wonder if I should wait when shopping for one like you are.
Anyways, I have not heard any recent macbook pro rumors at all, the only thing is there is a rumored tablet coming out, but I haven't heard any solid rumors recently. So I say go for it.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Thread moved to more appropriate forum. Please read before posting in Rumors & Reports.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
DriftNismo

DriftNismo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs:  15.4" MacBook Pro w/ 2.0GHz i7 & 4GB, Bold 9700

There's a possibility that MacBook Pros with quad-core i5s/i7s will come out next year, but that's just judging by the specs that the iMac has right now; nothing official.

But even if they are released with i5s/i7s next year, there's not going to be a huge performance gain, and the heat that the MacBook Pro would produce would be excruciating. So you may as well just buy one now; they are already able to run the most graphical programs perfectly right now anyway, and will run the next few years worth of programs well too.

 15.4" MacBook Pro | 2.0Ghz i7 | 4GB | HD 6490M | 500GB | OS X 10.7.1 
QUOTE Thanks
Motornerve

Quote:
Originally Posted by roffir View Post
Once again if you do that you'll never get one, there will always be new ones coming out all the time. If the computer is what your looking for you should get it. It's easy for me to say now when I am not looking for a computer, I always wonder if I should wait when shopping for one like you are.
Anyways, I have not heard any recent macbook pro rumors at all, the only thing is there is a rumored tablet coming out, but I haven't heard any solid rumors recently. So I say go for it.
There is already an after market macbook tablet customization.
I've seen a picture of Woz signing one at some type of Apple event.
QUOTE Thanks
Ballr24

Ballr24 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD

You might be talking about the ModBook. They take a Mac and then change the body and screen, etc of it.
QUOTE Thanks
idirtbike

idirtbike is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:

if you're going to get the basic MacBook pro 13" just go for the regular MacBook 13"...i just got the new white unibody and its better then the basic 13" MBP...i love it (: i had the 13" MBP uni and now have the NEWEST unibody WHITE MB with the rubberish bottom and it is wayyyy better then the MBP i had. plus it has a way bigger HD (:
QUOTE Thanks
mostro

mostro will become famous soon enough

I think the speculation that they'll at least bump them to Core i5 chips (or possibly Core i7 in the larger models) is pretty reasonable. Which could foster at least a slight redesign since those chips run hotter. But I don't think they'd be significantly different than the current ones as that is their current design language.

That being said the current MBP's are quite nice and I don't think you'd be unhappy getting one. I'd also want to wait a bit before buying a new MBP if it had the new Core chips in them, as there are often bugs and issues in a new product with brand new processors. There are already issues reported with the Core i7 iMacs.

I'm also a little surprised at the poster above saying how the MB is better than the MBP right now. Sure the base model MBP might have a smaller HD and lesser CPU, but doesn't the aluminum unibody, backlit keys, etc count for something? And you can always pay a little more to bump the specs up. The aluminum is more durable, looks better (this is opinion of course) and the rubber bottom on the MB gets dirty really easily.
QUOTE Thanks
Motornerve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballr24 View Post
You might be talking about the ModBook. They take a Mac and then change the body and screen, etc of it.
That's what it is.
Thanks I forgot the name.
QUOTE Thanks
Ballr24

No problem.
QUOTE Thanks
bcubed

bcubed is on a distinguished road

Well, I was one of those bleeding edge individuals who picked up a core i5 iMac. I went through 3 of them - all had significant video issues. This is an example of the price you pay when you choose to be an early adopter.

What do I have now? A 17" Macbook Pro - only 7 days old. Yes, new ones are coming and soon. I don't care though. When they do switch to the new processors there will be some inevitable bugs. I have opted to go with a platform that has been refined over the past few years. Is the current Macbook line perfect - no. However, it's about as stable as a notebook can be. I'm enjoying the new machine.
QUOTE Thanks
Ballr24

I agree 100% with bcubed. There are always problems with new machines right at the start.

HP Pavillion G62; 2.10 GHZ, 4GB DDR3 Ram, 320GB HDD. 32GB Apple iPod Touch (4G). LG Gossip.
QUOTE Thanks
code54

code54 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Alum. Mac book 13", MacBook Pro 15"

I wont worry about waiting - there is always something bigger and better around the corner...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HD noise? | Macbook 13" HDD upgrade? »