New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New to performing Fresh Install on MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

watsonb2

watsonb2 is on a distinguished road

Hey all,

*Tried to use the searchbar, but for some reason, it wouldn't go through for me; my apologies if this has been covered in another thread...

I have a MBP that I bought in mid '08 (last completely silver model), and want to go ahead and perform a fresh install of OS X Leopard and consequently, Snow Leopard.

I have a LOT of music, documents, and saved web pages that I'd like to be able to migrate over without any big issues or procedures. Now, I wouldn't say that I'm doing this because I'm noticing the computer running slower, but if I were to restore an older time machine backup, would it essentially just be the same "state" of the computer that it is now?

If that doesn't make sense, I'm wondering if doing a fresh install and then restoring the time machine backup from right beforehand will change anything at all...

I really just want to get back to a more simple environment without having to hunt down extraneous files and such myself. So, what is the best way for me to make sure that the data I have on here now will be easily transferable to the newly installed OS?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide me.

-B
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I would try using onyx to clean stuff up before attempting to do some so drastic.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Well, from what I've read in other threads on these forums the sleekest way would be to only restore your photos, videos, personal docs after the fresh install. Then re-download your 3rd party apps from scratch. That's how you can ensure that "extra" or unwanted files associated with work you've done in various apps will not still be around.
I'm too lazy to provide the link, but just go to youtube and find a video tutorial for how to wipe your drive and clean install.

Don't forget to make a bootable clone of your current drive just in case something goes wrong and you can't start up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time machine help | OOPS - Dropped my MacBook »