New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

2 SSD in MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

optikalefx

optikalefx is on a distinguished road

What do you guys think.

I got this new 2.8 ghz, 8g ram, 128g SSD MBP. Its super fast and super quite. I bought the MCE optiBay to put a 500g 7200 RPM drive in for storage since I need to have more space than 128g. After using this computer for a while I really think putting a standard HDD would just be a step back.

In your opinion should i opt for an Intel x-25 SSD as my boot drive and use this 128 SSD as my data drive? Its enough space and the intel drive is much faster than this stock SSD. Or do you think thats stupid and the platter drive would do the job just fine.

If money was no object, what would you do?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Just to clarify, you want to know whether you should use the 128GB SSD instead of a 500GB drive for storage? Well if your storage needs are more than 128GB, then the answer is pretty obvious. Plus, it's not like you need a lot of speed for storage drives, and a 7200RPM drive is plenty capable for your intended purpose.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
optikalefx

Well if I buy a 120g intel drive and use the 128g drive as storage that in total is enough to satisfy the portable storage I need.

Its just that If i get a 7200 drive, then i'll be subject to the sounds of a hdd again, the heat they put off, the power they consume, i mean, am i just blinded by the SSD or if I can go SSD for a 2nd drive should i.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

You're making it seem like traditional hard drives are like jet engines

If you're going to be getting the Intel SSD anyway, then just use the current SSD for external storage until you need more space, at which point you can upgrade to a regular drive later on.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
sandm

sandm is on a distinguished road

Solid state disk drives are great, but they're absurdly expensive to use as storage drives. What kind of data are you going to store on a second SSD anyway?
QUOTE Thanks
optikalefx

Well I do a lot of programming, video editing, and video rendering.

So I have a 320g 7200 rpm drive i was going to send back.. You recommend keeping the apple ssd and using that as my storage?

And then later on when i get the intel drive just swap the apple ssd?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Sounds about right.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video Card Shot... But Hard Drive OK! | Macbook not charging. »