New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

OOPS - Dropped my MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gityerkneedahn

gityerkneedahn is on a distinguished road

OK, so I dropped my macbook (from 6ft, not 20ft), it's a late 2008 unibody thingy (I'm not an expert).

There's no real physical damage to the machine other that a bit of a ding but what I do have a problem with is it not booting on the Mac side of things, i get to the grey screen with the apple and the spinny thing and that's about it. However, I am able to boot up the windows side of the machine tho it does seem to BSOD regularly.

From what I've read, I'm guessing that the hard drive is toast (for the most part anyway), does this sound right?

If this is the case, it's a great excuse to pop a bigger HDD in, what should I be looking at here, is there such a thing as a mac specific HDD or can I just order a normal 2.5 HDD off amazon (i notice that the one on my mac has four little silver lugs to locate it!).

Also, I no longer have my Mac installation discs (got destroyed in a hurricane last year), but I do have my snow leopard upgrade. The computer is registered with apple so it's totally legit, how can I go about getting the software back on the machine? Borrow someone elses disc if i can find one?

Please help, I'm on a small Island in the Caribbean and don't have access to Apple stores and the like.

Thanks in advance

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The hard drive has probably been damaged from the drop - as you suspect. As far as your original installation disks are concerned, you can purchase replacements from Apple for a small fee. You should be able to reinstall OS X Snow Leopard from the SL DVD and run Boot Camp again to install Windows.

There is no such thing as a Mac specific hard drive so you can order one from Amazon if you like. Just make sure it's a 2.5" SATA drive. Can be either 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
gityerkneedahn

gityerkneedahn is on a distinguished road

That's great, thanks for the info!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New to performing Fresh Install on MBP | Macbook vs Macbook pro »