Specs:
    2006 MacBook Pro, 10.7.2, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz memory
    Macbook vs Macbook pro
    I'm a college student looking for a new macbook, my old PowerPc G5 has broken down beyond repair.

I'm wondering if the extra power/performance of the macbook pro is really worth the extra money over the macbook.
    If anyone has used or owned (owns?) both the macbook and the pro, is there a noticeable difference?
    I've only used my friends's macbooks and pros, and all i could notice was that the regular macbook felt a bit more like, well, plastic or something, but I didn't use them for long.

I also read that the macbook pro is "ending its cycle" so to speak - its been half a year or so since release, and they usually come out with a new one with some form of change after this time frame - i can wait till about late january if they might come out with a new model?

Any help appreciated, as always

Specs:
    iPad & iphone 3G
    The new macbook and macbook pro have the same NVIDIA boardset and processor unless you pay some extra money to get the updated processor in the pro.

You probably wont notice a performance difference at all.

It will pretty much just come down to which one you think looks and feels nicer to you on the physical level. Well that and if you want a 15" or 17" screen.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 13"
    Performance wise, they are both pretty much the same.

Same processor, same amount of RAM, but the Macbook has a bigger HD.

It's the other stuff that might make you want the Macbook Pro.

The backlit keyboard, the firewire, metal casing instead of plastic.

If you can wait, I would suggest doing that. There will likely be a boost in the MBP right now, seeing as the Macbook is "better" than it right now.

Specs:
    13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
    I've owned both, a 13" white second generation (and my wife has a same generation Blackbook) and now a 13" Macbook Pro.

The MBP is totally worth the extra cost over the Macbook. The screen is brilliant, the firewire is there, you'd be surprised at how cool the illuminated keyboard is and it's built like a brick...well, you know the saying.

That screen thing may seem like not a big deal, but remember you gotta look at this thing for long periods of time. For you eyesight sake (take it from someone who has stared at computer screens all day for more than 20 years) you want to have the best money can buy. In a Macbook Pro, that money buys the best.

The Macbook is okay, but the Pro is actually $200 better. IMNSHO

Specs:
    2006 MacBook Pro, 10.7.2, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz memory
    Thanks every1, going for 15'' macbook pro - has a nicer feeling to it plus the screen looks nicer.

If u can afford the mbp I would go with it, just for the main reasons of they have the firewire and the sd slots. Firewire is the one reason I'm reluctant 2 give up my 2008 white macbook until I can save up the money 2 get the mbp. As far as performance I don't think that you can really tell the difference unless u are really doing some intensive stuff (speaking from experience. I played on a friend of mine)

Specs:
    See "Signature".
    ...And, as far as waiting for the current MBP's to "end their cycle" is something you'll have to contemplate. Apple is always updating products. Sooner than later, you're not going to have the "brand newest" computer out there. That doesn't make it any less capable.
    Gurassic 5: Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0 (PCI-X), 2 1TB WD Green HD's in RAID 1, 8GB DDR, Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Mac Edition, Airport Extreme, BT, Dual 20" WS LCD's, 10.4.11. Alice: Aluminum Macbook, Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HD, 10.5.8, Windows XP Pro.

Thread Information