New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Question about older macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thechamp023

thechamp023 is an unknown at this point

Hey guys, new to this forum and new to mac so please bear with me.

Right now, I've got a Sony Vaio with an intel core 2 duo 3gb ram and a 250 gb hard drive...just bought it in July. Anyways, trying to get into mac and got an offer for a 13.3" black macbook with 2gb ram 80gb hard drive and 2.0ghz processor. The guy said he bought it 2 years ago and chose the 80gb hard drive because it spins at 7200 instead of a 250gb hard drive spinning at 5400. He offered me his macbook and possibly even a 500 gb external hard drive for my computer. I am a little hesitant for a few reasons...the small size of the hard drive (is it easy and cheap to upgrade?) and the age of the computer. I'm getting a 2 year old computer while trading away one under 6 months old...the other kicker is one of his usb ports don't work. I really want to get into mac and would like your guys' opinions on this please! I think I am getting a decent deal but like I said I am very new to this...Thanks!

Oh also, he's running snow leopard 10.6 which he claims is the newest software.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

So, you want to trade a 6 month old machine still under warranty for one that is 2 years old and apparently exhibiting hardware failure.

Yeah, sounds like a good deal to me.

To the guy getting your Vaio.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Don't trade away your machine - that would be a ludicrous trade. If you really want to learn about Macs, find a cheaper one first just to get your feet wet. In that instance, keep your Vaio so that you have both.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
thechamp023

well how much do you think that macbook is worth?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The black MB with the 2.0Ghz chip, was discontinued on May 15, 2007. That means his machine was over 2 years old when you bought yours.

Trading a fully functioning machine for one that is broken, with less RAM, 1/3 the hard drive size is a bad idea.

Your parents would kick you in the seat of your pants.
(If they wouldn't, they should.)

QUOTE Thanks
thechamp023

what could i try and trade my laptop for then? i want to trade for a mac what specs should i look for in the trade?

also im trying to post in the buy/sell/trade subforum about trading for a mac but its not letting me because it says my account hasnt been authorized yet...
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Non-functioning USB ports means logic board replacement to fix. Whenever you read the words "logic board" think "actually costs more to replace than computer is worth."

I am all for getting into the Mac world and all, but doing it that way, well, you're doing it wrong. Keep your viao and throw a few bills at a used Mac Mini to get the feet wet. You'll then find out if you're won over enough to fork over the bucks to get a brand new, sexy Macbook with a warrantee on which everything works.
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyFIVE

johnnyFIVE is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iPad & iphone 3G

The failed USB is a concern because it may be signs of something starting to fail. As they touched on a minute ago, its probably out of warranty so that creates a problem.

I have no idea what your Vaio is worth but the black macbook is probably worth about 600-750 depending on condition and stuff. Thats probably the low end of the price.

QUOTE Thanks
thechamp023

would it be worth it to do the trade then sell the black macbook? i dont think my vaio would be able to fetch that much money...there are more ppl in the used laptop market for macs than for pc's
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

"Johhny FIVE" is in the right ballbark.

I would say that the MacBook...if it was in 100% working condition would be worth anywhere from $400-$650. This range is purposely wide because you never really know what one of these will sell for.

I bought one a couple months ago for $400...then sold it 1 month ago for $675.

BUT...this particular MacBook has some issues that I personally would not want to deal with unless I gave it a REALLY thorough "test drive"...AND if the price was VERY favorable...like $250-$300 bucks.

But I usually don't want to deal with someone else's problem...and so I would probably just skip this deal.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
thechamp023

alright, i think i'll pass on the deal then...does anyone know of anyone that would be willing to trade a macbook for my vaio? i tried to post it in the section for buy sell and trade but since im a new member i guess i do not have the authority to do so yet. i dont have the money to keep the vaio and buy a macbook so ill have to trade this either way. any help would be MUCH appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Honestly, you should just wait until you have the money. From the sounds of it, there is no pressing need to have a Mac over a PC (which there rarely is anyway). Wait until you have the money to try one. Better yet, spend some good time at an Apple Store if one is within a suitable distance to you. I'm sure you're anxious to try one but if you get too anxious, you're more likely to trade your Vaio for an inferior Mac and get ripped off.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyFIVE

johnnyFIVE is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iPad & iphone 3G

try the barter section of craigs list

QUOTE Thanks
thechamp023

got another offer...black macbook 2.16ghz 1 gb ram and 160 gb hd...claims he bought it in 2008 and everything works flawlessly...i would just upgrade the ram anyway but is this worth it? and how much would it cost to upgrade to 3 or 4 gigs
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

That Black MacBook was discontinued Nov. 1, 2007.

Use everymac.com to find any Mac, dates of manufacture and other pertinent information about it.

Use mac2sell.net to determine a reasonable price.

You planning to do any gaming on this new - old - Mac? You need to look at video cards also.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook pro SR 6GB RAM | Will recording acoustic drums blow the internal mic? »