EvoMac
    iBook performance question
    I already posted in the "for sale" forum that I am looking to switch my mac mini for a iBook and since I don't think a trade + money on my end is going to happen I think I am going to wind up ebaying the mini and then purchasing an iBook.

I am wondering how much of a loss in performance do you think I will see from my mac mini (which is 1.42ghz) compared to the 12inch iBook model? I know that the fact my mini has 1gb of ram installed is a big + to performance, but assuming that it was still base with 256mb compared to the standard 256mb of ram the iBook offers.

The new powerbook is out of my price range, but I am wondering if I will see a huge performance cut from a std mini at 1.42 to std iBook. I've looked at the benchmark numbers already but to be quite honest, those stats don't hold a candle to a person actually using the iBook.

thanks in advance for the replies.

Specs:
    ibook G4 14in
    i'm gonna speculate that you really won't see that much of a performance drop from 1.42 to 1.2.
    i think ram is gonna be the big factor in determining what kind of performance you can expect. are you gonna throw in 1gig of memory into the ibook as well? i think a 12in ibook with a gig or ram would make for a pretty sweet little machine.

my apple is bling *tisk tisk, you shouldn't have any bling.. just nice things*

EvoMac
    I will likely upgrade to 1gb eventually, but probably not right away. I didn't really expect to get into the need for a laptop... especially considering i already have 2 PC laptops (but i just dont like them anymore... **** mac-forums getting me hooked on apple). For now I will probably be using it for regular stuff (internet, iTunes, and some web page creation). When I get back to playing around w. video editing I will pop the 1gb in.

How does the 12inch perform under standard workload, I can't really imagine it being much slower then the 1.42 - then again im use to intel / amd "boosting performance" which in turn is really unnoticable w. clock speeds.

Specs:
    ibook G4 14in
    i use the 14in @ 1.33, i've only played with the 12in 1.2 @ the apple store. honestly i can't tell the difference. just for reference though, my 1.33 does almost all "regular things" very well.

i blame mac-forums for fostering my mac obsession!

JSchultz
    Considering the mini uses a 4200 rpm hdd just like the iBook, the only difference you'll see is in the RAM.

Im willing to bet my pants that a 1.2 ghz iBook with Similar RAM to an exact spec mini will be nearly identical in performance.

Robbob91
    Probably by the time you sell your MacMini Apple will up the speed of the iBook. I suspect it will be pretty soon considering I just bought mine. lol

Rob

Specs:
    ibook G4 14in
    i'm willing to bet that they will also throw in a slightly better vid. card to be more compatible with core image.

JSchultz
    What are iBooks up to now? 32 mb vram? decent card? Im sure doubling that wouldnt hurt.

Specs:
    ibook G4 14in
    yup 32mb radeon 9200; i would think the upgrade would go to the 64mb radeon 9600

Thread Information