New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Ripped off, now what to do. 3 years old Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

toiletduckam

toiletduckam is on a distinguished road

Hello all

I was very excited to make an exchange for my very first macbook. The deal looked very good for me cuz the owner told me his Macbook was only a few months old. I gave him a brand new Iphone 3gs 32g in exchange plus some cash.

The computer looked new. It was really well treated but the trackpad gave away his age. I checked in the internet for the warranty and Bang! Expired aaand I found out my New mac was 3 years old. The guy never answered his phone anymore.

Now my question: Should I just replace the trackpad and keep it? It seems to be working fine but its 3 years old! What you guys think?
Should I just sell it again for the money I can and get rid of it?

Thank you

A
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

If it's not broken, why fix it?

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
RD423

RD423 will become famous soon enough

I misread the original post, but if it's not broken then why "fix it". What are the stats on the macbook. and what are you going 2 be using it for? And then we can tell u 2 keep it or get rid of it
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD423 View Post
I haven't had 2 replace a trackpad b4, but if it's not hard I would say just fix it.
How would you fix something that isn't broken?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by toiletduckam View Post
It seems to be working fine..

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
toiletduckam

I know that something is not borken doesnt need to be fixed, my question is, if its worth it to keep it. Maybe 3 years is really a lot and soon the computer will start giving me problems

Model: - MacBook (13-inch Late 2006)
Processor speed: - 2.0 GHz
Installed RAM: - 1 GB (2x512)
Hard Drive: - 80 GB, 5400rpm
Processor Type: - Intel, Core 2 Duo (Merom)
Max. Amount: - 3.0 GB Drive Bus: - Serial-ATA Number of Cores: - 2
Amount of Slots: - 2
Optical Drive: - This unit has an 6x SuperDrive built in. Bus Speed: - 667 Mhz
RAM Speed: - 667 MHz
Optical Bus: - Ultra-ATA/100
Cache: - 4 MB L2 cache
QUOTE Thanks
Attimus

Attimus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.53, 4gigs RAM, 250hd

the OP wants the newer multi-touch track pad.

I say, sell it and go buy a new one some where. Lesson learned. this kind of stuff happens, don't get hung up on it. Move on, and don't be so trusting next time.

I'm sorry this happens to good people like you.
QUOTE Thanks
toiletduckam

thanks for the advice, I think Ill do that. Just feel really bad argh
QUOTE Thanks
RD423

What are you going 2 use it for? because I had the very first white macbook that didn't even have a dvd burner on it, had 2 get an external one, but I upgraded the ram to 2 gigs and it ran fine and did everything I needed it 2. So as long as the one you have will do what you need it 2, why waste the money?
QUOTE Thanks
toiletduckam

I will only use to download stuff and regular chat, emails surfing the net things... no big deal.. Just not sure if its worth it cuz a regular leptop, not a Mac that is 3 years old would start giving me trouble... so I dont know. If I dont sell it now, In another year it will be worth nothing
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

On a 3 yr old MacBook isn't going to change value wise a great deal in a year. Sorry to hear of the rip off though. There are power users in this here forum that have older machines than 3yrs and don't have problems with them. If and when you really get down to it and it does start to play up ...... Go get another but if it still working fine and no lack of peformance ....
I would be keeping it IMO

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
RD423

If that's all you are doing then keep it. Cause I still have my powerbook g4 that i use on a regular basis and I can't even tell you how old that thing is and it still runs like a champ. So save your money because u still have a few years left in that thing. People who tell you to go buy a new one now are the people whom has to have all of the new technology, but if you are like myself and don't have 2 spend the cash then don't. It wasn't as new as what you expected but have fun and enjoy your macbook. It will be around for a while.
QUOTE Thanks
aerogramma

aerogramma is on a distinguished road

I have a similar machine and I still use it *very* intensively for work.
It works so well that I'm waiting to upgrade till I see a more decisive speed jump in newer models.

Just put more ram in it (it can manage 3gb on a dual 2gb memory bank)

val
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiletduckam View Post
...a Mac that is 3 years old would start giving me trouble... so I dont know. If I dont sell it now, In another year it will be worth nothing
You are mistaken.

Have a look at this thread: How often do you replace your mac?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
toiletduckam

Hi guys, thank you for the quick responses and advices. Love this forum

Ok, so the guy finally answered his phone today. He explained that because he installed a pirate version of the OS the serial number changed for an older one. He tells me as well that the computer has ICare. Not sure what to think now. Is there any way to check really how old is this computer? It has multi touch trackpad thingy. When was the first model with this, anyone knows?
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

Keep it and do the following if you want to make it snappier for little cash:

Bump RAM up to 4gb for $99 - factory says max 2gb but you can run 4gb according to OWC tests.

Change HD out for a 250GB 7200 HD from Seagate for $69.00

Trackpad if it is worn, should be cheap on ebay and relatively easy to replace...got a macbook air trackpad and keyboard on ebay for $30 once.

So, for an extra $210 you can have a GREAT machine and not feel ripped off anymore!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook won't boot, black screen, solid power light | Firmware update wont update to 3.0 version. HELP »