New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

1680x1050 stopped working after update.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Codesmith

Codesmith is on a distinguished road

I have been using a 22" 1680x1050 monitor connected via VGA->mini-DVI without problem.

Then I restarted to apply some updates and now 1680x1050 simply will not work. The the resolution is on the list but it sends a bad signal to the monitor.

I tested the cable and monitor with my PC and the monitor still works perfectly.

All other resolutions work fine (except for the quality issues from using a non-native resolution) including 1600x1200.

Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
Codesmith

I have been planning on doing a clean install of snow leopard to a 640 GB hard drive I bought on black friday.

With the clean install 1680x1050 worked fine .. until my first reboot at which point it has the same problem. Bad signal at 1680x1050 ... all other resolutions work fine.
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Can you open up System Preferences > Displays > and then choose a different Hertz setting? How about a different resolution altogether. And of course the old, unplug it, restart and then plug it back in technique.

Give us the specs of your PC and monitor.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Bassist View Post

Give us the specs of your PC and monitor.
And your Mac - prefer the make and model # of the monitor.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Codesmith

I have an 13" Aluminum 2.0ghz C2D MacBook (Model Identifier MacBook5,1) NVIDIA GeForce 9400M Graphics card.

The Monitor is a Acer P224Wbk 22" with a native resolution of 1680x1050. I am using VGA via a KVM switch and Mini Display Port Adapter.

1680x1050@60hz is one of my options but the monitor rejects it saying no signal. (With or Without the KVM)

My XP Desktop has no problem connecting to the same monitor via the same cable at 1680x1050@60hz.

The Mac book has no problem connecting to a 24" Dell monitor via the same setup (including the KVM) at 1920x1080.

The odd thing is that when I first connected it, it worked find at 1680x1050 for several days and it wasn't until the first restart that it ceased to work at that resolution.

When I did a clean install of Snow Leopard again it worked fine at that resolution until I restarted. Thereafter that resolution ceased to function.

All other refresh rate options are grayed out, I can only chose 60hz.
QUOTE Thanks
Codesmith

I forgot to mention that it works fine at other resolutions including 1600x1200, the monitor even does a fairly decent job of scaling.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Still digging - I assume you have tried the Detect Display button in Displays preferences.

edit:
Need to take the KVM switch out of the picture completely until it's sorted.

The Acer user manual stresses the monitor should be turned on prior to the computer.

That's all I've got.

QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Argh - I can't find anything anywhere - suggest you check out bobtomay's advice on this one. Turning the monitor on prior to the MB could be your saving grace.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

One more thing, the mini-display port to VGA adapter has had a firmware update - have you installed that? It's available here.

Suggest going straight to the monitor without the KVM just in case there is an issue with it passing EDID info. Turn on the Acer, then boot the MB.
Make sure the MB is plugged into power, not just running on battery.
Then go grab the update.

QUOTE Thanks
Codesmith

The very first thing I did was take the KVM out of the picture
The next thing I will do is install the firmware update for the adapter

It worked again briefly when I migrated my old user account. Both OSX and the montior reported the resolution as 1680x1050@60hz and it worked fine until the first restart then stopped.

My guess is that there is some custom something for this monitor that OSX installs after rebooting which has bad setting for 1680x1050@60hz.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

?? Not sure on that count, but that firmware update supposedly dealt specifically with some resolutions not being available and/or displaying a black screen.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 4GB RAM upgrade didnt work | No sound from new macbook »