MBP won't start up, slow processing problems
    A couple of days ago, my 13in MBP (bought in June 09) started freezing and being very slow. Applications wouldn't open, some wouldn't respond, general freezing issues and very slow processing issues arose. I'm not sure what the source of the problem is, but I'm thinking it may be a hard drive issue. I had to forcibly shut down the computer by holding down the power button as nothing would respond otherwise. If I try to turn it on, it just brings up the white loading screen with the Apple logo and the loading circle beneath it. I left it on last night for as many as 2 hours before shutting it down again, as it just kept loading with no end in sight.

Would anyone have an insight as to what the issue could be here? I'm taking it to an Apple store tomorrow to have it looked at, but I really hope that my hard drive isn't crashed as I would hate to lose all of my files...Any insight/advice would be great.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onilawliet View Post
    A couple of days ago, my 13in MBP (bought in June 09) started freezing and being very slow. Applications wouldn't open, some wouldn't respond, general freezing issues and very slow processing issues arose. I'm not sure what the source of the problem is, but I'm thinking it may be a hard drive issue. I had to forcibly shut down the computer by holding down the power button as nothing would respond otherwise. If I try to turn it on, it just brings up the white loading screen with the Apple logo and the loading circle beneath it. I left it on last night for as many as 2 hours before shutting it down again, as it just kept loading with no end in sight.

Would anyone have an insight as to what the issue could be here? I'm taking it to an Apple store tomorrow to have it looked at, but I really hope that my hard drive isn't crashed as I would hate to lose all of my files...Any insight/advice would be great.

thanks
    Hey, same here. got macbook the aluminium version, also bought in june 2009. started in september after an update... but that can be coincidence... I'm thinking its a memory problem cus in widgets when i add up memory (wired, active, etc) i only come up to 1.7Mb, while i got 2Gb. on my previous macbook it was 2Gb in the widget... started up as well with hardware testing software and it froze on the memory check... But dont know exactly whats wrong...

did u try the hardware check? put in macdvd that came with it and start up pressing "d"... then u can a hardwarecheckup. froze with me there when doin the advanced check after 3 minutes... maybe u can try it as well...

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 17" HD
    This does sound very much like the symptoms for a dying hard drive.

You can read my earlier post regarding the same issue here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...tml#post957679.

But, in short, the solution is typically a new hard drive, a fresh operating system install and restoring your data from a recent backup.

Jeff
    Data Recovery Technician
    Specialized Mac Data Recovery
    *Use the information provided in this post at your own risk without any warranties, expressed or implied.

Quote Originally Posted by drtech View Post
    This does sound very much like the symptoms for a dying hard drive.

You can read my earlier post regarding the same issue here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...tml#post957679.

But, in short, the solution is typically a new hard drive, a fresh operating system install and restoring your data from a recent backup.

Jeff
    I used disk utillity to do a "permission" (dont know if thats the right eng name) check. turned out there were 100ds of errors there, and i restored those. Made a backup on timecapsule to be sure. Still that freezing when i test memory @ start up with the mac-cd though. also listened at HD, cus u can often hear when it failf, but seems to run ok. I'd like to wait till solide states are a bir cheaper... seems to me a lot better to put in notebooks... No more moving parts... Tx for the advice, made me look into the HD check-up tool.

Thread Information