New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Help I am a slave to apple

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Josh Bear

Josh Bear is on a distinguished road

Dear all

it started with an iPhone and from there an iMac for the other half and kids and then a move from pc to mac pro for me. Now I am suffering from new mac withdrawl and have been looking at the sumptuous mac book pro 13 inch or the mac book air.

Can I ask does anyone own both mac pro and a laptop? And if yes do you find both useful to own and why. To be clear I know this is extavagent but you only live once.

Thanks

Josh
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Well for one thing if you do heavy video, music, or 3D rendering I would do that on a Mac Pro for sure.

The notebook is only for doing that stuff lightly, general every day stuff and obviously mobility.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Josh Bear

Makes sense. If I have the power beast at home then perhaps I should go MacBook air to be at the other end of the spectrum. Just had a play on one in bristol. Amazing peice of kit. Any owners want to chip in?
QUOTE Thanks
tenashus1

tenashus1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7

I have a pc laptop that just sits around now - it's even loaded with Windows 7. I actually have to dust it today - no joke. This, ever since getting mt MBP 13".
QUOTE Thanks
janusoo

janusoo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook C2D 2.2Ghz and 2 G4 550Mhz Pismos

I kept my G3 Powerbook for eight years, rather than buy a newer model. I even upgraded the processor to G4 because it was cheaper than buying a newer model.
I finally broke down and bought a refurbed MB last year due to software limitations, mainly as a result of the switch to Intel processors. Love my MB, but also still love my Powerbook and still use them both because there is software on the older book that I still use. I still think the Pismo was one of, if not THE, best hardware designs Apple ever produced.
You can get a lot of life out of the Macs you currently have. It's really up to you if you want to buy a new model every time one comes out.
QUOTE Thanks
Josh Bear

thanks for the advice all. Santa delivered a macbook air today the 2.13 with ssd version.

Love it. better looking and more useful than the wife.

Best regards

Josh
QUOTE Thanks
EARL97850

EARL97850 is on a distinguished road

Don't let her see the comment about MBA & her or she will take the MBA for her.

Merry Christmas!!!

Cya
QUOTE Thanks
directeuphorium

directeuphorium can only hope to improve

the pro is really only useful for 3-d rendering and gaming.

Video editing, and graphics work relies on the processor way more than the graphics card.

The 13in macs are good for just about everything you'd want to do.. but if you're doing some work in blender or maya or zbrush or playing 3d games get a pro... otherwise it's not needed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« white macbook v iMac | audible hard drive »