New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

can i connect macbook pro 15" to 2(!) screens

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

anoniempje

anoniempje is on a distinguished road

Hello there,
I want to use 2 Dell screens on my macbook pro.
(This screen: (note: this is a dutch website) DELL Dell Professional 2009W Monitor - Zwart : Dell-monitoren: lcd-flatpanels & breedbeeldschermen | Dell Nederland )

I know u can use 1 extra screen, but is it possible to use 2 extra screens?

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Not if it' the one with the 9400m, the graphics set won't handle that much resolution... not sure, but think it's highly unlikely given the connections available if you have the dedicated card.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I recently had two screens connected to my 15" 2008 Mac Book Pro. It can't be done "out of the box" as far as I know. I was using a display adapter purchased from OWC to accomplish this.

I tested it for about a month and it worked well. It does not fully support Open GL hardware acceleration so some features will not work fully in programs like iPhoto that rely on Open GL. It handles up to 1600x1200 resolution so I am not sure how well it would work with the monitors you linked to. Here's my review In the included picture I had the device attached to a 17" monitor when I took the screenshot simply because that's what I had available for the second screen.

Tjere are several other products that provide similar functionality based upon this technology such as those found at the DisplayLink Store Some appear to support higher resolutions but check the specs carefully not all of them list Mac compatibility.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
anoniempje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
I recently had two screens connected to my 15" 2008 Mac Book Pro. It can't be done "out of the box" as far as I know. I was using a display adapter purchased from OWC to accomplish this.

I tested it for about a month and it worked well. It does not fully support Open GL hardware acceleration so some features will not work fully in programs like iPhoto that rely on Open GL. It handles up to 1600x1200 resolution so I am not sure how well it would work with the monitors you linked to. Here's my review In the included picture I had the device attached to a 17" monitor when I took the screenshot simply because that's what I had available for the second screen.

Tjere are several other products that provide similar functionality based upon this technology such as those found at the DisplayLink Store Some appear to support higher resolutions but check the specs carefully not all of them list Mac compatibility.
So if i understand it right, you just use 2 USB to VGA converters and plug the 2 USB things in you macbook pro and the 2 VGA in the monitors?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoniempje View Post
So if i understand it right, you just use 2 USB to VGA converters and plug the 2 USB things in you macbook pro and the 2 VGA in the monitors?
Basically, yes. But, you would connect the first monitor to the existing video out on your MBP and need only one of these devices for the 2nd monitor.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
anoniempje

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Basically, yes. But, you would connect the first monitor to the existing video out on your MBP and need only one of these devices for the 2nd monitor.
And that will work perfectly when the monitors are 20inch? (1.680 x 1.050)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm not willing to say that anything will work "perfectly".

slydude has already advised you of some things that will not work in his first post above.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I tested that setup with a 24" Samsung monitor. In the photo with two screens attached I had the Samsung attached directly to the MacBook pro and the 17" Gateway connected to the display adapter. That was just because of the cables I had. It could have been connected the other way round.

Most of the testing was done with the 24" monitor connected to the adapter so I don't see why it couldn't drive a 20" with a second connected to the Mac Book. You could use two of these devices but if you did that things requiring Open GL wouldn't work on either one. With one monitor directly connected you can move the affected program to that monitor.

QUOTE Thanks
anoniempje

Quote:
I tested that setup with a 24" Samsung monitor. In the photo with two screens attached I had the Samsung attached directly to the MacBook pro and the 17" Gateway connected to the display adapter. That was just because of the cables I had. It could have been connected the other way round.

Most of the testing was done with the 24" monitor connected to the adapter so I don't see why it couldn't drive a 20" with a second connected to the Mac Book. You could use two of these devices but if you did that things requiring Open GL wouldn't work on either one. With one monitor directly connected you can move the affected program to that monitor.
How can i see the picture? Sorry but i'm kinda new
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Sorry about that. I thought I had included the link to my review in the previous post. Here's a direct link to the review ATPM 15.08 - Review: OWC USB 2.0 Display Adapter Apparently the copy of the review on the OWC site does not include the screenshots.

QUOTE Thanks
anoniempje

Quote:
Sorry about that. I thought I had included the link to my review in the previous post. Here's a direct link to the review ATPM 15.08 - Review: OWC USB 2.0 Display Adapter Apparently the copy of the review on the OWC site does not include the screenshots.
So if i see it right, you have in total 3 displays (one on the macbook itself) and you have 2 different views (macbook + grey display) and (black display) all running from the macbook pro?

(Sorry for my bad English, it is not my native language)
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Yes. In that photo the gray screen is the 17" monitor connected to the display adapter. I had to connect it to the adapter because of the connection that was on that monitor. Most of the time I had the larger black monitor (24") connected to the adapter.

QUOTE Thanks
anoniempje

Quote:
Yes. In that photo the gray screen is the 17" monitor connected to the display adapter. I had to connect it to the adapter because of the connection that was on that monitor. Most of the time I had the larger black monitor (24") connected to the adapter.
And which USB to VGA u used again?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

I used the OWC USB to DVI/HDMI/VGA Video Display (Up to... (VIDU2DVIA) at OWC during the review. It has all the connectors needed to connect either DVI, VGA, or HDMI monitors/TVs. For some monitors you may need an additional cable depending upon whether you need connections with male or female pins. These are not specialized cables though and should be available from a number of vendors.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ibook G4 Kernal Panic | How often should I dust my Mac. »