New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

replacing a logic board

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dx1200

dx1200 is on a distinguished road

Sorry for double posting but I got no reply in the spillage thread. (Mods I hope this ok?)

I just got word from an apple authorised repairman that my logic board is fried from liquid damage! MAJOR BUMMER . The spillage happened almost 2 years ago and I thought I got all the coffee dried out.

I spilled about 3 ounces of the white coffee on the top left corner of the key board. I dried all surface damage straight away and left to dry the inside for a few days.

Everything worked great except for a small stain in the lower corner of my screen. A fortnight ago I got a dreaded black screen on start up.

I gave it to mac repair man and he just quoted me 1700 to replace the logic board, topcase, track pad and key board.

Obviously there is no point getting him to do repairs when I could buy a new machine for 1300.(but I'm broke)

My question is this - Should I attempt to replace the logic board myself (I have experience in PC land at this type of thing) and why if the trackpad and keyboard worked fine before I dropped into the shop could they still work?

Thanks for reading and for your own sake get a seperate table for coffee in the office.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You didn't say which country you live in but I suspect somewhere in Europe? In any event, a new logic board here in the US varies in price depending on the year model of the machine. The board alone will probably set you back around $300 to $600 new (again depending on the model). However, some places sell used boards with a warranty. Here's a place you might want to go to and look for a replacement board: LINK

Also, I'm assuming you have the necessary skills to do the replacement yourself. I would hate to spend $300 to $600 for a board only to find out after I replaced it that it didn't work.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Please do not post multiple times or crosspost. You won't get a reply any faster....

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro battery, model unknown | how do i delete a user from my macbook? »