New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Hard Drive upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kazuo459

kazuo459 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm looking for some advice in deciding to upgrade my hard drive

Machine:
13" Aluminum Macbook (Bought in late 2008)
2.0 Ghz, 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 160 GB HD

I currently have only 20 GB left on my hard drive and noticed it got very sluggish and am looking to upgrade to a 320GB Hard Drive.

1) Would it be recommended to get a SSD?
2) What Hard Drive would you recommend?

Speed, reliability, and a quiet drive would be my biggest qualities looking for..

Thank you in advance for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

A 320 GB SSD is going to be expensive. You can buy a 7200 RPM 320 GB drive for a lot less. Anyway, take a look at what the OWC website has to offer. They specialize in Macs and have a wide selection of hard drives including SSD types.

LINK

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
andr3wkim

andr3wkim will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M

An SSD 320GB are rare (Not even sure they're mass-produced yet). The highest I see a 256GB costing $600. Unless you have the cash, not even a viable option. If it is within your price range though, you'll see some speed increase but definitely not worth $600 (Couple seconds off here and there).

There are a lot of HD deals out there, but I'd check out Newegg and/or wait until after Christmas for some great deals.

13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz w/ 4GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks
richsadams

richsadams will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU

IIRC when I was doing research on an upgrade for my '08 white MacBook I found out that SSD's won't fit (too tall?). Might be wrong about that...but agree, they are very expensive.

I ended up with a 500GB Hitachi Travelstar HDD for about $80. Very easy to install, quick, quiet as a mouse, cooler than the original and no problems so far.
QUOTE Thanks
ih8pc

ih8pc has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4gb, 500gb

Instead of installing a new HD, why don't you just buy a big external and move everything you don't use all the time on your mac to that? I have a 500 HDD and whenever I'm done downloading and watching any of the movies or TV shows, I just move them right over to my western digital 1TB HDD. I'm sure you already know this though. I guess I just don't understand removing an HDD from a notebook that only has 20gb left on it. What happens to all the stuff you have on it?
QUOTE Thanks
richsadams

richsadams will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pc View Post
I guess I just don't understand removing an HDD from a notebook that only has 20gb left on it. What happens to all the stuff you have on it?
I transferred everything I had to my replacement 500GB hard drive (also very easy) giving me all of the original data plus another 400GB of free space.

An external drive is always an option. We have a 1TB external on all of our Mac's for Time Machine plus a 3TB NAS/media server, but the whole idea of a laptop is portability...at least for me.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

If you are going to go the SSD route you should get a small one. Enough space for the OS, applications. Then you need to hook up an external HDD for storage purposes only.

Even then this seems kind of like a hassle to me and I would rather much just get a 320 or 500GB HDD.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro and DVDs | Just Made Custom Logo for Macbook »