New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

4GB RAM upgrade didnt work

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Any suggestions or comments please before i return the RAM

I have a late 2008 White MacBook
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.1 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00

And i have today bought 2 x 2GB RAM, Brand Transcend DDR2 SO-DIMM 800MHz which as i thought and been told it is back compatible to 667MHz.
I have just installed it following all Apple's instructions.
I start MacBook and doesnt do anything apart from sitting on a black screen.
Why ?? Is it the new RAM i purchased being faulty.
Have googled and Transcend should be compatible.
And as im sure im able to upgrade to 4GB not 3GB ??

Any suggestions please as im 4hrs away from going back via shop for a refund.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Where did you purchase the ram from?

I always recommend OWC (macsales.com)...and I remember your fellow countryman "Harryb2448" also says that OWC has great service to Australia.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Yea thanks for the interest Nick.
I actually got at a local retailer.
There Christmas sale had them each going at $59 AUD ....
As i posted above this Transcend is compatible with Mac so wondering why i had know joy.
Is the 1st time i have upgraded RAM so wondering if it Prob is faulty ...

Cheers

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
RickPrather

RickPrather has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM

Sounds to me like you didn't get them seated all the way.

I would take them out and then reinstall and make sure you get that last few mm's (with them square).

If you do it right your thumbs will hurt!

Rick - K6LE
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Thanks Rick ...... Have inserted them and taken them out 3 times to no avail but every time i do i put the originals in and they seem fine. Starts up like usual, so bc of this im thinking that it is faulty ram.
Was just looking round for suggestions as to why THEY might not work.
Dont think its the way i have installed them ...

Cheers

Will try again before i return them for my hard earned $

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Mate memory from a PC shop may not be compatible, low density and all that. Check out the specs from OWC, print them off and take back to the shop with you.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../5300DDR2S2GB/
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Hey mate .... Was going to PM you but didnt think you would be on this arvo.
Have taken pigoo advice that both you and him both recommend OWC and have just ordered
WC53IM2DDR4GBK 4.0GB Kit (2.0GB+2.0GB) PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz SO-DIMM 200 Pin Memory Upgrade Kit but still unsure on the shipping, though have gone with the US postal Service: Express Mail international @ $30.10 .....

Will take back to shop BC still cheaper with postage from OWC
He is willing to take it back no questions asked which is good..
Do you use the US postal Service: Express Mail international ?
And how long does it take with what you use ??

Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

I always select USPS (US Postal Service) for about $15.00 (cheaper option) and get delivery here in about seven days and you city slickers types should get it in five to six.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Nice thats what i was wanting to hear ... Ill press the Pay Now button now..
Thanks harry
Be nice up your way this time of year
Hot as in ACT atm ....

Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Wow, that is really quick for USPS. Is that Priority Mail, Harry?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedmac View Post
Yep just sent order and its Priority Mail International Small Parcel ...
Ah - Priority Mail, that explains it, thanks.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Wow, that is really quick for USPS. Is that Priority Mail, Harry?
Yep just sent order and its Priority Mail International Small Parcel ...

QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

I had a similar problem with what seems to be the same specs as my MacBook, except the cards I used were Kensington. I made a thread about it a while back, couldn't really get the problem solved, so I just left it at the same old 1GB.

QUOTE Thanks
RD423

RD423 will become famous soon enough

I purchase my memory from crucial.com best prices i have found as of now.
QUOTE Thanks
ArrowJ

ArrowJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD423 View Post
I purchase my memory from crucial.com best prices i have found as of now.
agreed...and they have software that will scan your system, find your ram, and take you directly to the page you need to order from...I've used the a lot with zero problems.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Swap New 2008 screen with a 2006 screen | 1680x1050 stopped working after update. »