New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Where do you buy your Macs from?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

irwjc

irwjc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac. 15" MacBookPro. 13" MacBookPro. iPhone 3G

Where are fellow mac lovers get the best deals other than Apple retailers?

Are there significant benefits in buying from an official Mac Store or an authorized Retailer?

I've purchased from authorized retailers twice and an official apple store once, and have never noticed a difference, but I've also never had to have any service or work done.

I think I've seen double-page ads for a great authorized retailer website that had a few good deals, but can't remember what the site was :/

Appreciate suggestions!
Jen
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Mac Warehouse are excellent if you are in the UK.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwjc View Post
Where are fellow mac lovers get the best deals other than Apple retailers?

Are there significant benefits in buying from an official Mac Store or an authorized Retailer?
I'm guessing (based on your post above) that what you really mean to say is..."Where do you buy your new Mac's from?

If you include used Mac's in this question...then that open's up lots of extra possibilities!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
irwjc

irwjc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac. 15" MacBookPro. 13" MacBookPro. iPhone 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I'm guessing (based on your post above) that what you really mean to say is..."Where do you buy your new Mac's from?

If you include used Mac's in this question...then that open's up lots of extra possibilities!

- Nick
Yes Nick--New Macs and new accessories
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwjc View Post
Yes Nick--New Macs and new accessories
Older stuff is good too...and you save a lot of money!

Starting with Apple refurbished.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

I got both my MBP and iMac from BestBuy, mainly because they are 5mins from my house. Apple Store is almost an hour away, but i already knew what i wanted and didnt have questions. But if i wasnt sure about something, or had questions then i would have went to the apple store.

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Got my MBP from apple.com because I used an Apple gift card my wife gave me for our anniversary last yr. If I knew then what I know now, I definitely would have used that card on a refurbished instead and got more "bang" for my "buck".
Oh well, I certainly love what I have and don't completely regret the $1200 I dropped on it. *shrug*
QUOTE Thanks
ih8pc

ih8pc has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4gb, 500gb

I would never buy a used or refurbished mac. I buy all my stuff from apple.com. I ALWAYS get applecare. To buy someone else's hand me downs or a broke one that was fixed is crazy. There is no warranty so if it breaks, your out the money put in. Sure, your saving in the short term but in the long run, its better to buy new.
QUOTE Thanks
andr3wkim

andr3wkim will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M

Buying it from the Apple Store usually means taxes are always added during purchase. I usually buy from Macmall. Depending on the state, they usually never add taxes. The price you see is the price you pay.

13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz w/ 4GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks
yamawho

yamawho has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mac Mini late 09 version

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pc View Post
I would never buy a used or refurbished mac. I buy all my stuff from apple.com. I ALWAYS get applecare. To buy someone else's hand me downs or a broke one that was fixed is crazy. There is no warranty so if it breaks, your out the money put in. Sure, your saving in the short term but in the long run, its better to buy new.
Are the refurbs always used or are some new older stock ?
QUOTE Thanks
andr3wkim

andr3wkim will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamawho View Post
Are the refurbs always used or are some new older stock ?
Apple's refurbs and Apple Store fixes go with the "Whatever we have" policy. Apple just makes sure the unit works before re-selling them or giving it back to you. That being said, most of the units sold on the refurb site are slightly used (New defected units). The part they replace is whatever they have at the moment (used or new). I believe there was a TUAW.com post about this. I'm not 100% sure if this is true, but where I got this info from.

13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz w/ 4GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks
Zachhockey2

Zachhockey2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15 2.2 i7 4GB 750GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pc View Post
Refurb has the same 1 year warranty as a new mac.

Apple Rocks
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachhockey2 View Post
Refurb has the same 1 year warranty as a new mac.
boo-ya!
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Only macs we own are from the apple certified refurb store.
Items are less expensive and look and work like new.(Most of the time, one macbook pro we bought has small dents near the trackpad area as if a small screwdriver fell on it tip first) but it isn't a big deal if I get some $$ of the regular price.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
TheGreatApple

TheGreatApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I only bought one mac thus far...a new macbook pro 15 inch. So far direct from the apple store online. I hear that refurbs are a great deal though!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting my first Mac - lots of questions | Using Samsung ML-1710 w/Mac OS X10.6 »