Thread: Macbook Pro Gray screen
12-03-2009, 12:33 PM #1
Macbook Pro Gray screen
- Member Since
- Dec 03, 2009
It happened last night. First, I install a software which might not be compatible with Snow Leopard. Then, when I launched the app for the first time, my laptop froze and couldn't even execute force quit command. I did a restart. After seeing the apple logo, the start-up ended in a blank gray screen. The list below shows the things I've tried:
1. Snow Leopard disc boot: same gray screen.
2. Launching another SL via firewire: either gray screen or blue screen.
3. Safe mode: worked at the first few times, and I tried to reboot immediately but seeing the same gray screen again. I backed up important files in safe mode and did repair permissions(fixed a lot of problems that are related to safari) and verify HD (no problem found), but it didn't help.
4. Single user mode: launched and ran /sbin/fsck -fy few times till it said "The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK." However, this didn't help either.
5. This might has been a stupid thing that I've tried after the safe mode didn't even work anymore (: I took the HD out and formatted using a windows PC (i don't have another mac) and hope I can a fresh install. However, when starting up, all I can see now are first the gray screen (without apple logo) and then the black screen.
I took it to the genius bar, and they couldn't figured out why and want me to pay $310 flat rate to fix it. I just want to see if there's anything else I could try before spending $310. The laptop is a 17" core2due 2.33G model. I really appreciate any help, and thank you guys in advance.
Sorry about any misspellings and grammatical errors.
12-03-2009, 12:37 PM #2
Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X - You see a blank, gray screen
You can also find some tips here:
Isolating issues in Mac OS X
Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By dipperharry in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 9Last Post: 05-25-2014, 04:52 PM
By cowbox13 in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 1Last Post: 11-05-2012, 07:08 AM
By Mac&me in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 9Last Post: 08-05-2012, 07:51 PM
By helloalexxander in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 1Last Post: 03-17-2012, 03:10 PM
By GreenTek in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 3Last Post: 09-29-2010, 07:35 AM