New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Trying to run 2 monitors

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ventrj

ventrj is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.66ghz i7 macbook pro with 8g's of ram

Does anyone know if it is possible to run two 24" monitors with a macbook pro unibody. I purchased a matrox dualhead2go digital edition thinking that this would work but it is not allowing me the resolution i need. The max resolution i am trying to achieve is 3840x1200 which is 2 1920x1200 24" monitors.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

You can attach one external display to your notebook.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

??? Have never done it, but have you installed the latest Matrox driver software and utility - available here. And then read the owners manual for directions on setting it up?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventrj View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to run two 24" monitors with a macbook pro unibody. I purchased a matrox dualhead2go digital edition thinking that this would work but it is not allowing me the resolution i need. The max resolution i am trying to achieve is 3840x1200 which is 2 1920x1200 24" monitors.
It can be done...but it's expensive.

Multiple Monitor Solutions For The MacBook Pro

The article I linked mentions the "Matrox" product you have.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ventrj

Clicked on the link for the drives and it showed none, then i call matrox and they said that i can not do it with the dualhead2go digital i need the dualhead2go DP (display port). I also called apple and they said that the max resolution for these computers were only 2560x1600, but the old macbook pros could do 3840x1200 so i do not understand i am not sure if they gentleman i talked to at apple knew what he was talking about.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The info Apple gave you would be related to the internal video card.
The info Matrox gave you would be related to the external dualhead2go video device.

I do not remember any MBP capable of a 3840x1200 resolution from the internal video chip.
As far as I can remember 2560x1600 has been the max for several generations and that available only with a dual-link DVI.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventrj View Post
I also called apple and they said that the max resolution for these computers were only 2560x1600, but the old macbook pros could do 3840x1200 so i do not understand i am not sure if they gentleman i talked to at apple knew what he was talking about.
Maybe there may be some confusion here about this resolution goal. If you have 2 external 24" monitors...and if each is set for 1920 x 1200...and if the hardware is set for "extended desktop" (not mirroring)...then (1920 x 1200) + (1920 x 1200) = 3840 x 1200.

So you're not looking for a single setting of 3840 x 1200...it's (1920 x 1200 on 24" monitor #1) + (1920 x 1200 on 24" monitor #2).

Assuming the MBP has enough video ram to display two 24" monitors at this resolution.

Or unless there is something different about the "dualheadtogo" hardware vs. how monitor resolutions are normally configured with Apple hardware.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ventrj

I think the dualhead2go displays them as one single monitor. I called matrox and talked to one of their reps and he said that i would not be able to do this with the version i have i would have to get the their new dualhead2go Dp (display port edition) which does not come out till feb of 2010. I think it has somthing to do with the display port resolution but i think i have found a way around this. I think if i get the triplehead2go and get the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter and then run a dual link dvi cable into the triplehead2go it should work.
QUOTE Thanks
reinhrst

reinhrst is on a distinguished road

I have exactly the setup you mention. I used to have this with an old MacBookPro with a DVI connector on the side (really not sure which version that was), and that worked in combination with the TripleHead2Go with 2 DVI monitors on 3840x1200.

Now I have it with the DualHead2Go DP with the 17" unibody MacBookPro; both with 2 DP screens, and with 2 DVI screens (with 2 DP->DVI cables).

The DualHead2Go has been available since this summer, however it may take a couple of weeks to get hold of one.

Just to be clear; I'm running 1920x1200 on my internal screen, and 3840x1200 on the external screens (together) giving me a total desktop size of 3 x 1920 x 1200 pixels.

There is a small issue though with 3840x1200 and 10.6.2, please refer to my blog.
QUOTE Thanks
blayne

blayne is on a distinguished road

Thanks Claude! I have the DualHead2Go and one DP -> DVI cable. I'm still waiting on another DP -> DVI and the Mini DP -> DP. I had to order the cables from different distributors. Each seemed to be out of at least one item that I needed.

Your tip may come in handy when I get everything together. I have the 15" Macbook Pro unibody. I'm really hoping for the best with this solution.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 1st Mac - New MacBook Pro 17" | OSX install from scratch on a macbook pro (late 2008) »