New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Hooking up my macbook pro to my old cinema display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Teresa

Teresa is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,
New here. I am trying to hook my macbook up to the external display, and can't. I'm frustrated because every search I do doesn't fully answer the problem.

I have the adapter that hooks into the display card, but I am perplexed by the other cords. I cannot connect the display firewire into my laptop, because it is the wrong shape.

Do I also need a firewire adapter? I just want to double check this, before I go out and purchase it. All 3 cords need to connect into my laptop correct?
1.) display
2.) firewire
3.) usb

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
Hi everyone,
New here. I am trying to hook my macbook up to the external display, and can't. I'm frustrated because every search I do doesn't fully answer the problem.

I have the adapter that hooks into the display card, but I am perplexed by the other cords. I cannot connect the display firewire into my laptop, because it is the wrong shape.

Do I also need a firewire adapter? I just want to double check this, before I go out and purchase it. All 3 cords need to connect into my laptop correct?
1.) display
2.) firewire
3.) usb

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.
More than likely the reason why you cannot connect the "display firewire"...is because it's most likely not firewire.

Does this display have an ADC connecter (the plug on the left):

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Teresa

Teresa is on a distinguished road

Hi Nick,
Yes, it has a connector very much like that. The apple store had me buy an adapter that would allow me to hook that part into the macbook pro. The thing is the cinema display has 4 cords coming out of one large cord. Those 4 cords are: power (which has to plug into an additional power source that in turn plugs into the outlet), a usb cord and a firewire cord (both are stuck into my G5), and the analog connector similar to what you have displayed.

I'm researching the apple store and it looks like I need to buy something called a DVI to ADC adapter... that costs approx. $100. Of course not nearly as simple as the Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter he told me I need. If I'm hearing you right, I have the wrong adapter...

I am really disappointed in how apple has made this so difficult. I am a proud mac user (have been for 20 years), but not a real "techy" person. )

Does this sound right to you? Do I need the... Apple DVI to ADC Adapter?

Thank you so much for your help Nick!
Teresa
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« loud, hot, macbook | Traveling to Peru »