New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

should I upgrade to 4GB RAM

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macman321

Macman321 is on a distinguished road

I just recently bought a regular low end macbook pro 13" for 1199 dollars which came with a free iTouch...i was wondering if i made a good deal. Should I upgrade the 2gb to 4gb? Does regular microsoft office 2007 work with snow leopard? How do I bootcamp into windows 7? Which is better Bootcamp or VMware? Would 160 gb hard drive be enough?

Please answer all these questions. I bought my 1st mac and I am frightened about the switch from pc to mac...please help me out!
QUOTE Thanks
JohnfromJersey

JohnfromJersey is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Unfortunately a MacBookAir (which I hate)

Upgrading to 4GB will only make your computer faster. I don't know about Bootcamp, but don't buy Parallells. It sucks.

I had a Macbook Pro and it is a GREAT computer. 160GB hard drive is ok. Remember, you can buy a 500GB or 1 TB external one for like $100-150.

Good luck with it.
QUOTE Thanks
andr3wkim

andr3wkim will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M

Hello, welcome to the forums.

You've already made the purchase so asking if it was a good deal is a little too late. Personally, it's a pretty good deal if you got a iPod Touch in the process.

Q: Should I upgrade to 4GB?
A: Well depends on what you do on the notebook. If you work with a lot of photos or edit video, you'll definitely want the 4GB. During normal use (e-mail, web surfing, iTunes, etc.), you won't see a large performance increase. That being said, if you have the cash and find a 4GB deal (Newegg is a good place to start) go ahead. You'll see small improvements in speed.

Q: Does regular Microsoft Office 2007 work with Snow Leopard?
A: No, Office 2007 is the PC version. You have to get Office for Mac 2008.

Q: How do I bootcamp into Windows 7?
A: Use the Bootcamp utility located in the "Applications\Utilities" folder. You may want to check out the "Windows, Classic, Linux, and Other OS" section of the forum.

Q: Which is better Bootcamp or VMWare?
A: Depends on what you plan to do in Windows. For gaming, you really want to use Bootcamp. If you don't mind low settings in games or use Windows strictly for Microsoft Office or other programs that aren't so performance intensive, you may want to consider VMWare since you can use Mac and Windows at the same time!

Q: Would 160GB HD be enough?
A: Again, depends. Video editing and photo editing take a lot of space really quickly, in which case 320GB or an external drive should be purchased. But normal use should be enough. I suggest just using it for now and purchasing one later if you need one since the prices for hard drives can only go down in general.

13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz w/ 4GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks
water

water is on a distinguished road

if you planning to install any giant software i think you should upgrading your memory
but if you just work on home application 2 gb it's much enough yet
besides you've been installed snow leopard on your mac
for your second question , maybe prefer take bootcamp , because your win will running
well on your mac , about office i think you installed 2008 version for mac
QUOTE Thanks
DigitalVyruz

DigitalVyruz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 13" Macbook Pro

I also purchased the 13" Macbook Pro, I did the upgrade to 4gb, also upgraded to a 500gb hdd and its working great! Also Bootcamp worked great but not something I ended up keeping.
QUOTE Thanks
caulktel

caulktel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13 inch Macbook Pro Nov. 2009 4gb ram

I think you got a pretty good deal for 1200 bucks. I just bought the same 13 inch Macbook Pro, and payed the the same price as you only I didn't get the iTouch with it. You will love it, it's a great laptop. Now I just need to upgrade to 4gb ram.
QUOTE Thanks
investinchad

investinchad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP Uni 13/2.53 SL- iPhone 3g

I tried both Fusion 3 and Parallels 5 and kept the latter. With the VM running I am glad I have 4gb of RAM. You will quickly noticed that 160gb HD will run out soon especially when you have to partition for Windows. If your running a VM you could just keep MS Office. Use the extra money for upgrades. Seems like you got a great deal with the itouch.
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by andr3wkim View Post
Hello, welcome to the forums.

You've already made the purchase so asking if it was a good deal is a little too late. Personally, it's a pretty good deal if you got a iPod Touch in the process.

Q: Should I upgrade to 4GB?
A: Well depends on what you do on the notebook. If you work with a lot of photos or edit video, you'll definitely want the 4GB. During normal use (e-mail, web surfing, iTunes, etc.), you won't see a large performance increase. That being said, if you have the cash and find a 4GB deal (Newegg is a good place to start) go ahead. You'll see small improvements in speed.

Q: Does regular Microsoft Office 2007 work with Snow Leopard?
A: No, Office 2007 is the PC version. You have to get Office for Mac 2008.

Q: How do I bootcamp into Windows 7?
A: Use the Bootcamp utility located in the "Applications\Utilities" folder. You may want to check out the "Windows, Classic, Linux, and Other OS" section of the forum.

Q: Which is better Bootcamp or VMWare?
A: Depends on what you plan to do in Windows. For gaming, you really want to use Bootcamp. If you don't mind low settings in games or use Windows strictly for Microsoft Office or other programs that aren't so performance intensive, you may want to consider VMWare since you can use Mac and Windows at the same time!

Q: Would 160GB HD be enough?
A: Again, depends. Video editing and photo editing take a lot of space really quickly, in which case 320GB or an external drive should be purchased. But normal use should be enough. I suggest just using it for now and purchasing one later if you need one since the prices for hard drives can only go down in general.
Pretty much nailed it.

I wouldn't worry about the hard drive space, you can always get a external hard drive which are very inexpensive now a days.

Use the computer for the things you intend and monitor your memory usage in activity monitor (or download the iStatePro widget).
If your using up close to the 2GB then consider upgrading to 4GB, thats also not that expensive.

Now.. If you come to find out that you needed more ram and HD space then i guess you should of went with a higher up model MacbookPro. But by then i guess it would be to late.

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTomTuning View Post
Pretty much nailed it.

Now.. If you come to find out that you needed more ram and HD space then i guess you should of went with a higher up model MacbookPro. But by then i guess it would be to late.
I'll have to respectfully disagree with this statement. Apple over charges by such an incredibly ridiculous amount of money for a larger HD and extra RAM. And I think that Apple, allowing their customers easy access to do the upgrade themselves, knows this as well. And I always thought it was silly of them to contradict themselves like that.

4 gigs of RAM on newegg.com will cost you no more than $80 Newegg.com - SUPER TALENT 2GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Laptop Memory Model W1066SB2GV - Laptop Memory (Super Talent had been tested against Corsair at one point and beat the pants off of them)

And an 320 gig external HD with 7200 RPM drive will run you the same: Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Even an 500 gig HD will be less than $90 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...009&name=500GB

So for less than $200 you can have double the capacity of RAM and HD space, whereas Apple will charge you, well.. You figure that out.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

I guess when you look at it financially, then yes your right.

I did the same. Upgraded to 4GB myself and got a 1TB external drive.

But what i was talking about was just going with the next 13" model, which got you 4GB ram, 250GB HD and a faster processor. For 300.00 more. But it doesnt better i guess.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Glad this thread popped up today. Going to go out and purchase 2gb tomorrow and upgrade my RAM ...
Looking forward to having a faster Late 2008 White book .....
Nice

Edit: and if anyone knows of the top of there head .. If they take a 240 pin or a 200 pin RAM ??

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Depends what you want to run Windows for but if it's just reasonably day-to-day stuff like office etc then try VirtualBox.

It's free and, in my experience, it loads and shuts down Windows faster than either VMware or Parallels (Latest version). Seems to use resources better too. Firing up Windows under Parallels especially seemed to bring everything else on the machine to a grinding halt. VirtualBox seems to be much less system hungry.

'you're mileage may vary' etc etc But as Virtual Box is free, VMWare and Parallels both have trial versions it's worth trying them all out....if you have the time/inclination.

If you want to full power off your machine for more intensive tasks under Windows then Bootcamp is the way to go.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
superchargedgp

superchargedgp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13.3 inch mid 09 4gb RAM 500GB HD, iPhone 8GB, 30GB ipod video, Airport Extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post

So for less than $200 you can have double the capacity of RAM and HD space, whereas Apple will charge you, well.. You figure that out.

Doug
thats what i did, and LOVE IT
QUOTE Thanks
RD423

RD423 will become famous soon enough

Like the other guys said don't upgrade 2 the 4gigs of ram unless you really do ram hungry things. I do video editing on my macbook and just have 2 gigs of ram and it runs like a champ. Also no need for bootcamp unless you do power hungry things in windows. Welcome 2 the world of Apple. I switched over last year and love it, I have no need for a windows computer and now have an Iphone. I guess I am now a converted apple fanboy. Because now i am trying to get everyone I know 2 switch 2 makes because they just work. Unlike windows with many headache stories.
QUOTE Thanks
ticedoff8

ticedoff8 will become famous soon enough

Big question (that no one asked): What version MacBook Pro did you buy?
The early MBP could only support 2GB RAM. Mine is one of them.
MBP1,1 with 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
It won't support Snow Leopard in 64-bit mode either.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is the 13-inch 2.26GHz MacBook Pro for me? | battery problem? »