New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro Black Screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

beb

beb is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I'm having a problem with my MacBook Pro. Last night I left my laptop running when I when I went to sleep. This morning, the screen was black, and I was unable to wake it from sleep mode. So, I held down the power button to restart the computer. The computer starts up and there is a solid indicator light, but the screen remains black. I can hear the start-up chime, and it sounds like the computer is working, but, again, the screen remains black. I did have a DVD in the computer and was able to eject it (I don't know if that means anything).

The only other thing that I noticed was that my Power Adapter is staying orange. When I first try to turn on the computer it is green, but then promptly changes to orange. Occasionally the light will completely go out. I tried another Power Adapter, but it also stays orange.

If possible, I would like to get the files off of the computer. I am under some tight deadlines!

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm not super computer savvy. Let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You didn't mention how old your MBP was or whether or not it's under warranty or Apple care. I'm going to assume it's not in both cases, otherwise it would be best to take it on in and let Apple deal with it.

Try to reset your PRAM, NVRAM. Follow directions from this LINK

Also do a SMC reset. LINK

It also sounds like your battery may be completely discharged or possibly something wrong with the power input.

Post back results and we'll go from there.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
dhL17

dhL17 is on a distinguished road

If you have applecare, just take it to them. They took my brother's mbp and changed the screen for free.

Best part is, they gave him a new shell and a new battery while the screen was getting fixed. Awesomee!
QUOTE Thanks
beb

beb is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies! Sorry, I have just now seen your responses.

I got the mbp in early 2007.

The computer seems to be charging pretty regularly now, and the battery seems to be holding its charge.

The screen came back on again briefly on Saturday, but then went out again shortly after (following a restart). It's been out since. I tried resetting my PRAM and NVRAM, but it didn't seem to help.

I tried the SMC reset without knowing it, and that's actually what helped get the computer working. I've tried the same trick numerous times since, but doesn't seem to work again. It worked once though!

It has a lot of the symptoms of this, however... The computer seems to light up everywhere except the monitor (the little apple on the top of the computer won't light up, but the keyboard and sleep indicator light do). The adapter light now stays off constantly, and seems to be keeping the computer charged.

Thanks for the help everyone. I will set up an appointment with Apple very soon (although, it is not under warranty any more).
QUOTE Thanks
MacEnVy

MacEnVy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5'' 3.2GHz i3 running 10.7.2

If you have a video adapter then I'd suggest checking to see if it produces video out to an external display.

If it produces external video then problem lies with the display. If not, it's most likely the Logic Board.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New headphone problem | Should I buy the Macbook 13 or the Macbook Pro 13? »