New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Thinking about buying "broken" macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mpetruzz

mpetruzz is an unknown at this point

A friend of mine has a macbook pro that had some liquid spilled on it. The only problem that i can see is the keyboard doesn't work. It powers on ok and will work fine with an external keyboard. He's selling it for a great price and I wanted to get some advice on how much it might cost to repair. I'm assuming that since it powers up OK and works with an external keyboard it's not something major like the logic board. Could it be something as simple as buying a new keyboard. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetruzz View Post
A friend of mine has a macbook pro that had some liquid spilled on it. The only problem that i can see is the keyboard doesn't work. It powers on ok and will work fine with an external keyboard. He's selling it for a great price and I wanted to get some advice on how much it might cost to repair. I'm assuming that since it powers up OK and works with an external keyboard it's not something major like the logic board. Could it be something as simple as buying a new keyboard. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!
Well...it may depend on how much it is being sold for. What are the specs on the computer & how much is it selling for?

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mpetruzz

mpetruzz is an unknown at this point

He's selling it for $550 and it's an intel core 2 duo, 2.16 ghz with 2 gb or ram and 120 hard drive. Screen is in great shape and according to what I'm told all the ports work. It boots up with no issues as well.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetruzz View Post
He's selling it for $550 and it's an intel core 2 duo, 2.16 ghz with 2 gb or ram and 120 hard drive. Screen is in great shape and according to what I'm told all the ports work. It boots up with no issues as well.
That's not a great price for a non-fully-working MacBook. It may be an "ok" price if the ONLY problem is the keyboard...if you can find an inexpensive replacement keyboard, and if you can do the replacement yourself!

3 months ago I purchased a 2.0ghz White Macbook core 2 duo for $400! This was a fully operational, very clean MacBook. Came with the original box, install DVD's...and the battery still gave 5 hours of runtime on a full charge.

IMHO...this is not the "best" deal,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Applecare vs. Mastercard Extended Warranty | Output Macbook to Samsung TV problem »