New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Tiger to Snow leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

satointl

satointl is on a distinguished road

I am going to try to use Migration Assistant to transfer from Tiger to Snow Leopard. I haven't turned on my new Snow Leopard yet because I'm not sure how to do this. Could someone give me a tutorial of how to do this please? Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
babyt

babyt is on a distinguished road

powerbutton ->press in<--
;-)

aye bay bay
QUOTE Thanks
cheesehole

cheesehole is on a distinguished road

Back your data up first. Especially since Leopard users were complaining of losing all their data after upgrading and then logging in as a guest.
QUOTE Thanks
RickPrather

RickPrather has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM

Gotta admit that babyt's response got a chuckle out of me!

But, to your question, when you get to the stage of being asked if you want to migrate your info it will walk you through the procedure. Mainly, it tells you to hook up a FW or Ethernet cable and decide what you want to migrate.

The loss of data problem won't affect you, or hardly anyone else, for a couple of reasons. You never used a guest account in Leopard on your new Mac and it was fixed in 10.6.1.

Rick - K6LE
QUOTE Thanks
satointl

satointl is on a distinguished road

I googled it and I understood ehh... 95%.
I still don't know if you click "to another computer" on Tiger or "from another computer" on SL. If it's possible to do either way, which one is safer?
QUOTE Thanks
RickPrather

RickPrather has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM

Since you are installing Snow Leopard you would follow the instructions which will be going from the other computer to your Snow Leopard Mac.

I have found it to be intuitive and a great way to "migrate" your settings, etc. to the new Mac. I even migrate my Apps, in spite of some people saying you should install fresh.

I have never had a problem with my apps except when I went from a PPC G5 to my first Intel Mac and that was only with a couple of apps that I simply reinstalled.

Rick - K6LE
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP 13inch need advice on hard drive! | transferring files betweent hard drives »