Cannot fit hard drive inside after taking out - MacBook 10.4.11
    After getting blue screen and flashing question mark on start up, read many forums and solutions on the internet. Tried to reinstall OS with Disk 1, but destination volume was absent. Finally came to arbitrary conclusion that the hard drive is damaged and need to be replaced. Read all tutorial and watched videos about replacing hard drive. Before ordering new hard drive, decided to look into the existing hard drive. After taking out the HD, now it doesn't perfectly fit inside the hood no matter how much pressure I put (there is about 10 mm that doesn't go inside completely). Consequently I cannot insert the battery (all messed up). Now I am in strange situation. How to fit in the HD? What is causing the problem? I spent more than an hour; no avail. Videos show easy insertion of HD inside hardly any use of force. Please help to resolve this situation. Thank you.

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    Are you sure you inserted it correctly? The connectors need to line up, so there's only one way that it can go in. 10mm would explain the connectors on the hard drive not inserting properly into the ports.

June 2007
    July 2009

Problem Resolved
    Finally I figured it out. There was a black strip approx. 3" long and 2/5" wide got stuck curled up inside. Don't know where it came from. Was it at the end of the hood where the HD lives? I am not sure. I just got it out and now my HD drive perfectly fits inside. Please let me know what is the purpose of that strip and if I still need to fit it inside.

Now, it is almost confirmed that my problem is dead HD. I am going to order another HD and try to revive my MacBook soon. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    That black strip is supposed to be there to help you pull the hard drive out.

June 2007
    July 2009

Thread Information