New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Keyboard Fading Out

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stephanella

Stephanella is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1Gb 667 MHz, OS X 10.4.11

Dear everyone,

first of all HELLO, this is my first post! I have been into Macs on and off since 1996 and finally I now have one all to myself. I bought an iBook last year and within a few weeks the keys started fading. Now, only 8 months after purchase, I have no S, no R and no E either. I just happen to know where they are but you cannot see them at all. I don't use anything powerful to clean the keyboard and to be honest I was a little shocked that within a month these were already fading and so I have been wondering whether the keyboard is under warranty and whether I could take it to a Mac centre and have it replaced. Any advice?

Cheers pies,

Steph~
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

Welcome aboard. I hope you're not doing your nails whilst on the iBook. That polish remover is a doozey. I would definitely take it in to your local Apple store and see what they say. If they refuse you should be able to find them on eBay or something of the like.
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

Keys should definantly NOT be fadding. True, this will happen over time (due to the oils on your skin...heck STEEL will fade if you rub it long enough). Reconnecting an ibook keyboard is a little tricky for those who are not used to taking the computer apart. Definantly recomend taking it in...if there's not a store around you and they ask you to send it off...I recomend whipping out a maker and writting them in; hahaahaha, i couldn't live that long without my mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Stephanella

Stephanella is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1Gb 667 MHz, OS X 10.4.11

Yes guys, I must say I was thinking 'hey, it's not like I used nail polish remover on it!!!' AND I am a Virgo and always wash my fair hands before I stick them on the pristine white Mac but still...I am annoyed. And yes, I also thought about writing them on myself, hahahahaha! Actually, I think I will give a call to support and ask them and then take it to the Mac centre or change the keyboard myself if they tell me it is not covered (that would suck a little...).
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

I think you should definatly say that they started fading in the begining and that you thought it was no big deal, and BAM, now there gone.
And I don't doubt that you wash your hands, I'm just sayin' over use (not that you do it, just in general) and oils on hands cause wear.

Odd side note/fact: while an adult hand almost always leaves a finger print, a new born babies hand rarely does.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« reloading ibook | squeaky noise when opening »