New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Decision to make

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kodu

kodu is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, Im new here but my main aim of visiting the mac forums is to work out some of my best options and get some decent advice from those currently using or long time users of Mac products.

I currently have an ASUS notebook with an Intel Duo Core 2 2.10ghz processor, 16" HD/LED display, 500GB hard drive, 4GB of DDR2 RAM and a 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 220M Cuda graphics card running windows vista obviously, purchased for about $1450 Australian currency ($1,330 US dollars roughly)

I have been doing a fairly substantial amount of research as of late in regards to the Macbooks and Macbook Pro's and am seeking some advice on the advantages/disadvantages between the Apple and non-apple notebooks in all regards, open to any input. I probably wouldnt want to spend more than $2500 at most if possible but need a fairly high end performance notebook for programming, video encoding, gaming, arts design etc.

Cheers, kodu
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

If you're looking to be gaming, then I would suggest sticking with Windows.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
kodu

So you're saying the 3.06ghz duo core 2 processor, 8GB of DDR3 RAM and an nvidia graphics card wont be enough for games? what of bootcamp? and from my understanding, mac has fantastic software for video editing and is much better for programming etc?
QUOTE Thanks
andr3wkim

andr3wkim will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M

Your system probably beats the best Apple Notebook that is available at this time. The Geforce 220M beats the 9600 in any game in performance. Bootcamp will work fine for games, but won't play them in the highest settings. The RAM is slower, but only a small factor in the overall performance at this point.

Video editing, Apple's Final Cut Pro is the gold standard but Adobe Encore is available and they are both professional-level programs.

Programming, there really isn't something "better", just depends which language you program in. Obviously if you plan on making programs for the Mac, you'll need one but other than that there's really no reason to consider a Mac for "programming".

It seems to me, in terms of what you expect from the Mac, isn't the greatest option at this point. If gaming is one of the major priorities I really wouldn't suggest one, but if you're fine playing in medium-high settings and a "casual" gamer. Getting a Mac is a great option.

But it seems you already have a GREAT computer in general. If I were you, I'd wait until the Macs get a i5 or i7 processor upgrade before considering switching!

Good luck on your purchase.

13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz w/ 4GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks
kodu

Thanks andr3wkim, everything i needed to know.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Would this work - Partitioning my HDD. | Unable to get internet through my MBP when connected via Airport »